Responsible for independently handling deal negotiations and the drafting and review of a variety of agreements for the development, production and distribution of documentary and non-scripted reality television programming, including the agreements for talent, across Discovery's portfolio of networks, with a focus on HGTV and Food Network.
• Negotiates and/or supports in the negotiation of production and acquisition agreements.
• Negotiates and/or supports in the negotiation of talent agreements.
• Acts as a business advisor on production, license, and talent agreements.
• Structures, negotiates, and oversees the administration of agreements.
• Analyze and advise client groups regarding the implications of deal terms and recommends best business solutions.
• Develops and maintains positive working relationships with internal departments and external vendors.
• Drafts, negotiates, reviews, and revises ancillary production and talent related documents, such as appearance releases, independent contractor agreements, access agreements, title clearances, and format licenses.
• JD required.
• Strong academic credentials from an ABA-accredited law school and current Bar admission
• At least 2-4 years' experience: i. negotiating and/or drafting media/entertainment/IP-related agreements; ii. focused practice in the areas of media/entertainment/IP at a law firm; or iii. working in the business affairs or legal affairs department of an established media company.
• Working knowledge of business deals related to production, acquisition, and development of content and to the talent appearing in content.
• Strong negotiation skills.
• Ability to take initiative, make firm decisions, and manage projects in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to define and resolve complex challenges.
• Proficient working with Microsoft Excel, Smartsheet, Word and PowerPoint, MS Outlook, as well as Google G Suite.
• Must have attention to detail and strong organizational skills
• Capacity to juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Must be able to work collaboratively with team members.
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-roop92-3-236-118-225-42 in your application.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.