Software Development Engineer
We are hiring a Lead Cloud Solutions Architect who is passionate about using software-based approaches to solve complex governance at scale challenges and using automation to create governance as a service. You'll be part of a Global Cloud Governance and Products team where we have a strong focus on using engineering and software practices to manage and scale cloud infrastructure and build cloud products in a multi cloud environment. You will lead and contribute to initiatives aimed at scaling our infrastructure, process, systems, FinOps, Governance and automation.
You will be expected to lead various initiatives, be deeply technical, capable of building solutions yourself or leveraging other engineers on the team to accomplish the task. You have amazing communication skills. You have experience practicing infrastructure-as-code as well as related areas, CICD, DevOps, and Agile development. In addition, you'll have strong systems knowledge and troubleshooting abilities.
An ideal candidate will appreciate great coding practices, be passionate about cloud technology, be cost conscious, secure, and innovative in the cloud. This person will thrive on working in a global environment and will look for opportunities to innovate to solve complex enterprise challenges.
• Plan, lead, and execute complicated technical projects that interact with a wide variety of teams within the company.
• Work on providing a highly automated infrastructure for deploying and scaling a distributed, multi-tenant, high performance compute and data platforms.
• Develop software and tooling to facilitate greater automation and operability of services
• Mentor other engineers, overseeing their designs, code quality, and integration into a team.
• Provide guidance on design, coding, and operational best practices, and have a track-record of applying these best practices to software that you have worked on. You will have the freedom to propose and create best practices proactively
• At least 9 years of overall experience in software, systems, and infrastructure
• Strong software development skills in languages such as Go/Java/Python in a team setting. Must have CS fundamentals and a track record of implementing highly reliable software with a successful adoption rate.
• At least 4 years of experience managing public cloud infrastructure, such as AWS, GCP, or Azure, including design, implementation, and maintenance of large scale compute environments.
• Strong knowledge and implementation history of Terraform, Ansible, Salt, Pulumi, CloudFormation and/or other similar IaC tooling.
• Deep understanding of Docker, Linux, networking, distributed systems, microservice architecture, cloud design patterns, and security.
• Able to calmly and efficiently debug, troubleshoot, and resolve complex technical issues.
• Solid interpersonal skills conducive to a team environment.
• Self-driven & motivated, with a strong sense of ownership, work ethic, and a passion for problem solving.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Can effectively communicate vision and plan with a variety of audiences.
• Experience in working across product, engineering, and analytics teams to evaluate new ideas, discuss technical concepts, create scalable designs, implement new models, and make tradeoffs to remove roadblocks.
• BS/CS, MS/CS or equivalent.
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Bonus (Nice to have)
• Experience with container orchestration technologies such as Kubernetes, OpenShift, AWS, EKS, or Google GKE
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rzkk63-3-239-118-166-42 in your application.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.