Corporate Functions FP&A Analyst
International Controller (VP)
Discovery is a global leader in the media sector, serving passionate fans around the world with content that inspires, informs and entertains. Discovery delivers over 8,000 hours of original programming each year across deeply loved content genres.
The world is changing all around us. To continue to grow as a business over the next years we must look ahead, understand the changing trends and be prepared for that what's to come. We must get ready for tomorrow today. Join us to be part of the adventure. Discovery inspires people to be the best they can.
Currently in Poland we are looking for passionate people with various backgrounds to join our team in the fields of FP&A Centre of Excellence, Global Business Services, HR Services and Media Business.
The key objectives of the role are to direct and develop the accounting practices, procedures and initiatives for Discovery’s international subsidiaries in three regions (EMEA/LATAM/APAC). Ensures the preparation and analysis of financial reports and compliance with all applicable regulations for all non-U.S. subsidiaries. Maintains an in-depth, and up to date knowledge and understanding of both U.S. and international accounting principles. Advises management of potential changes in accounting regulations or practices that may impact international operations and reporting. This role is responsible for partnering in the review and consideration of deals and transactions, including acquisitions, joint ventures, investments, etc. The role will ensure that the systems and procedures are in place to provide timely and accurate financial data. The role will collaborate with business operations, corporate functions, and third-party auditors and advisors. The role will provide integrity and leadership to the international accounting team and ensure that the team operates effectively and efficiently while providing a quality service.
• Manages the timely and accurate monthly/quarterly/annual financial accounting and reporting for all international subsidiaries, including management and statutory accounts.
• Interfaces with accounting shared service function (GBS) and proactivity manage service level agreements.
• Leads the development and implementation of global, regional, and local accounting policies in compliance with U.S. GAAP, International accounting standards, corporate guidelines, debt covenants, JV requirements and local/statutory regulations.
• Oversees internal and external audits for the International subsidiaries including country specific statutory audits.
• Collaborates with Treasury and Tax to ensure that business’ funding requirements are sourced appropriately, exchange risks are mitigated where possible, surplus funds are efficiently repatriated, and compliance with the transfer pricing structure.
• Implement/interpret/document complex accounting areas which includes revenue recognition, hedging, foreign currency translation, content accounting, capitalized software, investments, etc.
• Partners in the review and consideration of deals and transactions, including acquisitions, joint ventures, investments, etc.
• Collaborates with the financial compliance team to make improvements to the control environment and to ensure timely remediation of any identified control deficiencies
• Serves as a key member of enterprise-wide projects and system implementation efforts.
• Works with team on training, technical development and maintaining proper documentation.
4 Direct Reports (regional Controllers); with team members located primarily in the two hubs in Poland and India. Additional team members in various locations.
• Graduate in Finance, Accounting or Business management, with strong background in accounting
• Must have a minimum of 12-15 years of Big4 and/or large corporation experience (US listed environment a plus)
• Qualified accountant (CPA, ACCA or equivalent)
• Strong technical accounting skills – US GAAP and/or IFRS reporting
• Experience working in SOX control environment
• Experience in working in multi-functional teams on tax and treasury issues
• Maintain strong work ethic and high integrity. Consensus and team builder
• Detail and results-oriented
• Strong communication skills both written and oral and fluent in English (Polish a plus)
• Strong management, training and development experience and skills
• Experience with accounting software (SAP a plus) and implementation
• Media or high-volume transaction experience strongly preferred
• International experience preferred
• Willingness to learn and implement best practices from industry peers
• Willingness and ability to travel
• Proven ability to build confidence and trust with internal and external constituencies and provide excellent customer service
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.