Cloud Operations Engineer
About the role
Reporting to a Duty Operations Manager, this position is critical in monitoring and supporting Discovery's Global network and platform infrastructure ensuring tickets and issues are escalated accordingly and Major Incident outage process is followed to ensure speedy communication to our internal teams/executives and customer services teams. The position is part of a unified technical operations team that will consist of members from multiple disciplines (Distribution Operations, Network Operations, Server/Storage Operations, Digital Platform Support Operations and Security Operations) to form a team capable of providing monitoring and support to all Discovery technical infrastructure and where relevant you will escalate to Tier 2/Tier 3 engineers across the globe. This exciting new role has the scope for you to learn and progress into more technical roles within the GT&O teams.
Working as part of a team of Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 operators in our Krakow operations center, the role is responsible for monitoring and providing 1st line (Tier 1) support of Discovery's Network, Infrastructure, Digital and Distribution Services across 50 offices and productions centers globally.
This position will also include Domain management which will involve working with the registrar to purchase and manage domains, as well as managing hosted zones in AWS.
This position will require to work during EU and US business hours (9-5pm, 2pm - 10pm).
Scope of duties
• Discovery Domain Management, working with the registrar to acquire, transfer and setup new domains
• SSL Management from start to finish making sure our sites our secure
• Redirect management, helping redirects URLs across the organization for anything from Ads to Internal Apps
• Domain validation
• Monitoring all our production Network, Platforms, Digital and Distribution infrastructure in real time using systems such as Pager Duty, SolarWinds etc
• Where possible resolving issues at the frontline or escalating to the Tier2/3 engineers and 3rd party providers
• Writing of outage notifications and raising, and managing tickets in ServiceNow, following Discovery's Incident Management process. Checking whether changes have impacted the service and advising others accordingly
• Maintain Knowledge Base(s) and writing of processes where necessary to help and aid others in the future
• 1+ years providing administrative, troubleshooting and technical support in a technology department
• Knowledge of Basic DNS functions such as A, CNAME, TXT and NS records
• xcellent English written and verbal communication skills
• Works well under pressure
• Able to communicate technical matters to technical and non-technical audiences
• Experience with ITIL principals
• Experience using ServiceNow or another similar Service Management tool
• Experience with Doman management at the registrar level
• Experience with AWS Route 53
• Experience with URL Redirects
• Experience generating CSRs and SSLs
• Experience using Solarwinds, pager duty and other monitoring systems
• Experience with ITIL principals
• Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Information Systems, Computer Science or Engineering, or related field or equivalent experience
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.