Discovery's rapidly growing Direct-to-Consumer business is looking for an innovative, creative leader to drive a critical segment of the business. You will lead a team responsible for original documentaries for discovery+, with a particular focus on non-Natural History genres, reporting to the Group SVP Content & Commercial Strategy. The right person for this role has excellent taste in content, strong filmmaker relationships, international experience, and an impeccable track record at festivals. This is an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of the highest priority initiative of Discovery.
• Drive the creation, execution, and iteration of the overall strategy and vision of original docs & specials for discovery+, with a particular focus on broadening Discovery's documentary offering beyond Natural History.
• Oversee selection of original docs for discovery+, collaborating with Discovery leadership.
• Collaborate with the creative and production teams from across domestic and international networks on discovery+ content where relevant, partnering where their expertise in given genres will elevate execution.
• Oversee the acquisition, development and production of original docs:
o Attract top filmmaking talent, both established and emerging, to produce with discovery+.
o Take pitches from producers and filmmakers, self-generate and self-package ideas
o Lead discovery's presence at film festivals to source and identify documentaries for pre-buy / acquisition and distribution on discovery+
o Supervise outside production companies on to ensure high quality, timely and on-budget development, production and delivery.
• Leverage data and research to identify content opportunities for original docs to drive business goals related to subscriber acquisition, retention, engagement, and brand equity for discovery+. Interpret user behavioral data to make data-informed content decisions
• Inform and involve key internal departments (business affairs & legal, production management, marketing / PR, content operations, etc) on projects throughout all stages of the pipeline to ensure smooth execution, and to maximize their value to the company.
• Design and implement internal processes for smooth implementation of a documentary strategy with a spirit of constant iteration to meet the evolving landscape and priorities.
• Oversee streaming-specific operationalization of original documentaries, including working with digital content operations and marketing / creative services for on-site assets; scheduling for optimal release; merchandising for in-app promotion and product / tech on content discovery optimizations to drive discoverability and engagement with documentaries.
• Perform in a leadership role and manage members of the discovery+ Docs team
• Bachelor's degree in related field or an equivalent combination of skills, training and hands-on experience.
• Minimum of 15 years hands-on production & development experience in non-fiction genres and 6+ years focused on feature documentary.
• 2+ years at a streaming platform / premium network preferred
• World-class relationships with top-tier documentary filmmakers, including instances of repeated collaborations with the same filmmaker, ideally in more than one context
• Passion for nonfiction
• Direct work experience in media outside of the US ideal
• Deep familiarity with non-fiction genres, especially true crime, lifestyle, food and travel, culture and society, mystery and, paranormal, etc
• World-class experience sourcing and negotiating films in a festival context; deep relationships with film sales agents and distributors
• Proven record of:
o Creativity with an ability to generate new ideas and translate them into high-quality documentaries; providing valuable input that elevates the creative process and execution
o Outstanding editorial judgment and creative sensibilities
o Spearheading the journey of a film from selection through launch, wrangling many disparate departments with competing priorities to connect the right audience(s) with film(s)
o Working in harmony with multiple creative stakeholders while serving as a unifying force; strong executive leadership
• Ability to manage outside producers, build credibility, trust, and strong working relationships with other internal executives and generate commitment to goals.
• Knowledge of all aspects of contemporary production and post-production capabilities.
• Comfort working in a highly matrixed organization where collaboration is required to drive projects forward, frequent and clear communication is muscle memory
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gm512x-3-236-118-225-42 in your application.