Machines that Move Us. People who Inspire Us. Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
We are MotorTrend.
Motor Trend Group (MTG) is a joint venture between MotorTrend and Discovery Inc and operates digital entertainment automotive channels and services across the USA and Europe. The MTG business is now entering a major growth phase with the complete rebuild of all of its technology and rolling out of new features to entertain and delight our fans. With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, MTG is the largest automotive media company in the world. With franchises including MotorTrend, Hot Rod, Automobile, Wheeler Dealers, Roadkill, Best Driver's Car, and dozens of other world-class brands, we are reimagining storytelling around mobility. Our portfolio brings together Discovery's #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, connected TVs, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up everyday intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
We are hiring a software engineering leader to join us and lead the product engineering of backend services team. You will be managing a team of talented software engineers working on the core services that power all our award-winning apps across iOS/Android/Amazon/Web/Voice and other OTT platforms. You will work closely with cross functional teams driving innovation and deliver value to our customers all over the globe.
• You have a passion for building world-class, high quality applications with a drive for automating your development processes. You speak BDD/TDD fluently and are just as excited to help others get to your level
• You build great productions for your immediate teams, but also advocate and help others group-wide, via cross-company technology and engineering initiatives.
• You plan well and execute better making decisions that are data driven. You constantly validate the decision made and provide feedback to yourself and the team to adapt and pivot quickly as needed
• You understand a broad range of computer science concepts, and know how, when, and when not to use them. You can dive deep into a wide range of technical problems offering suggestions and feedback to your team. Your interest in computer science has not faded as you moved into a leadership role and you are still comfortable with technical details
• Your written and verbal communication skills are top notch. You can distil key points out of complex technical descriptions to share with non-technical stakeholders, adapting your language and style of communication depending on the audience. You communicate through data, dates, and facts using emotion judiciously to motivate and inspire
• You lead by example and do not consider yourself above individual contributor work. You are comfortable teaching best practices by showing people, not just telling people. Teams follow your lead because you are an inspirational leader, because you are right, and because you can show everyone high quality examples of your own work
• You have demonstrated that you can manage multiple teams, or an area of strategic importance and significant impact. You can work effectively through other managers reporting to you. You influence teams and groups outside your wider organization with your deep insight and strategic thinking
• You have participated in strategic planning and demonstrated good judgment in setting and delivering against strategic goals for your team
• You can drive outcomes using key performance indicator goals within your team rather than dictating specific deliverables
• You have demonstrated the ability to make great hiring decisions as is evidence by the performance of engineers and managers on your team, and you are able to retain and develop the best engineers and managers
• You have mentored and managed other engineering managers successfully. Your team is capable and autonomous without your continuous oversight and decision making as a result of your coaching of your own managers
• You create a culture of innovation, encouraging your team members to find new and better ways to achieve their goals. You foster an appropriate culture of tolerance for taking innovative risk
• You will lead and own the engineering capability & technical vision for the team while working closely with product, business and other engineering leaders on a regular basis
• Experience with one or more of: PostgreSQL and MySQL, Caching solutions (such as Redis and Guava), Search engine technology
• Knowledge of, and professional experience with most AWS services, and deeper knowledge of EC2, ECS/EKS, S3, Kinesis, CloudFront and CloudWatch
• A good track record on building and growing high-performing engineering teams
• Solid graphs of algorithms, memory management and re-time communications
• Comfortable with leading Agile practices
• Usage and deep understanding of Docker and Kubernetes
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.