Software Development Engineer - Front End
Discovery also has a strong portfolio of free-to-air channels across Europe making it a leading broadcaster in a number of countries, including Norway, Sweden, Italy, Poland, Germany and the UK. As a purpose-driven company, we are dedicated to not only entertaining but inspiring.
For 30 years we have told stories that entertain, inspire and enlighten our viewers around the world, about the world. But our work doesn't stop there. We are committed to making the world a better place by leveraging our market-leading global platform, and by extending the reach and influence of like-minded organizations and causes. We also are dedicated to employee volunteerism across the globe.
• The ideal candidate is an established leader of leaders, responsible for managing an area or department.
• You are responsible for defining the mission of your team, inspiring and motivating your team to pursue that mission, and setting strategic goals for them to achieve in that pursuit.
• You have a balanced understanding of business and technical objectives and your guidance is sought out because your decisions drive the best outcomes for both.
• You own a set of key performance indicators important to the business, and drive outcomes for our business by setting goals against these metrics.
• You will champion engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics and processes that drive velocity, adaptability & results.
• You will help build, lead & mentor great software teams to enable delivery of world-class consumer products.
* You have worked in a rapidly changing environment and thrive in a startup environment and are proficient in dealing with ambiguity
* You understand a broad range of computer science concepts, and know how, when, and when not to use them. You can dive deep into a wide range of technical problems offering suggestions and feedback to your team. Your interest in computer science has not faded as you moved into a leadership role and you are still comfortable with technical details.
* You are comfortable handling multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
* Your written and verbal communication skills are top notch. You can distil key points out of complex technical descriptions to share with non-technical stakeholders, adapting your language and style of communication depending on the audience.
* You lead by example and do not consider yourself above individual contributor work.
* You have demonstrated that you can manage multiple teams, or an area of strategic importance and significant impact. You are able to work effectively through other managers reporting to you.
* You have demonstrated the ability to make great hiring decisions as is evidence by the performance of engineers and managers on your team, and you are able to retain and develop the best engineers and managers.
* 10+ years of professional experience architecting, developing, and launching software products and/or services.
* 5+ years of experience managing successful engineering teams including hiring and performance management.
* Previous experience in media industry preferred
* BS/MS in Computer Science or a related technical field
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.