Discovery also has a strong portfolio of free-to-air channels across Europe making it a leading broadcaster in a number of countries, including Norway, Sweden, Italy, Poland, Germany and the UK. As a purpose-driven company, we are dedicated to not only entertaining but inspiring.
For 30 years we have told stories that entertain, inspire and enlighten our viewers around the world, about the world. But our work doesn't stop there. We are committed to making the world a better place by leveraging our market-leading global platform, and by extending the reach and influence of like-minded organizations and causes. We also are dedicated to employee volunteerism across the globe.
Discovery is the world's leading non-fiction media company with a reach of three billion viewers in 220 countries.
The Direct to Consumer (DTC) group is an Engineering company within the Discovery brand. DTC's engineering teams build applications for Web, Mobile, Connected TVs and Consoles/STBs covering features like Search, Playback, ML driven Recommendation, Subscriptions, Payments etc. These applications are powered by a fleet of cloud-native microservices for Content Ingestion, Metadata processing, Video encoding & Ad Tech platform running on AWS containers & serverless-compute. We are building a Global Video Streaming Platform to support a broad collection of Discovery's brands (Discovery, TLC, Motor Trend, Golf TV, Food Network, Eurosport, and many more) including the recently launched Discovery+.
Meet Our Team:
We are the Product Engineering group for Direct-2-Consumer business, and responsible for building video streaming Mobile & OTT applications for TVE/GO brands (18 channels in total!). Our front-end teams build user experience for search,catalogue, video streaming, personalization, subscriptions, payments, and really much more.
We are hiring a Director of Engineering to lead our front-end teams in India. The ideal candidate has a track record of creating the identity for engineering teams and defining how those teams work within a larger organization. You have mastered the ability to delegate both tasks, and larger assignments to your leaders, ICs and ensure that the right results are achieved even without your constant oversight. You are a technical leader that executives turn to when they want to build something new as you can align with company priorities and processes and create new ones where needed.
• You understand a broad range of computer science concepts, and know how, when, and when not to use them. You can dive deep into a wide range of technical problems offering suggestions and feedback to your team. Your interest in computer science has not faded as you moved into a leadership role and you are still comfortable with technical details.
• You work with key stakeholders to deliver a high-quality product ensuring that software development is and remains under control and on track at all times.
• Your written and verbal communication skills are top notch. You can distil key points out of complex technical descriptions to share with non-technical stakeholders, adapting your language and style of communication depending on the audience. You communicate through data, dates, and facts using emotion judiciously to motivate and inspire.
• You lead by example and do not consider yourself above individual contributor work. You are comfortable teaching best practices by showing developers, not just telling people. Teams follow your lead because you are an inspirational leader, because you are right, and because you can show everyone high quality examples of your own work.
• You have demonstrated the ability to make great hiring decisions as is evidence by the performance of developers on your team, and you are able to retain and develop the best developers.
• You have demonstrated the capacity to make decisions for more than one development team or functional area showing that your judgment is fungible.
• 9+ years leading and managing a software development teams (providing coaching, mentoring, setting goals, and recruiting talent)
• Programming & domain experience on Web 2.0, Android and/or iOS mobile applications. OTT experience is a plus.
• A bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent work experience.
• Hands-on expertise in disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
• Knowledge of large-scale application architecture, design, implementation and performance tuning.
• Experience in modern DevOps/SRE practices such as CI/CD, performance monitoring & incident management
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
What We Offer:
• A Great Place to work
• Equal opportunity employer
• Fast track growth opportunities
Discovery is governed by our eight guiding principles:
• We Are... One Team, Creative Dreamers, Doers. Consumer Obsessed. Global, Quick & Agile, Purposeful and We Do the Right Thing
• Discovery's Guiding Principles define the distinctive character, spirit and attitude of our organization.
• They inspire how we design our future and recruit talent.
Diversity & Inclusion:
Disclaimer: Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d5z741-3-236-50-173-42 in your application.