Software Development Engineer
New York, NY
Discovery along with the rest of the media industry is undergoing a transformation to build unique experiences around the world-class non-scripted video content in form of Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) products on dozens of different platforms. They key to delivering dozens of products globally is a robust platform that serves as the foundation for building the products such as Discovery GO (18 US brands such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Food Network, Animal Planet, HGTV, MotorTrend), Eurosport, GolfTV, DPlay, Discovery Plus and many others. This DTC platform will power the digital transformation of Discovery & enable the future of interactive & personalized video experiences for global audiences spanning 220 countries.
The Director of Engineering will help lead, manage, and inspire the software engineering teams that span multiple areas of the end to end DTC OTT platform. They will develop the global platform working closely with peers on the digital platform teams in Seattle, New York & London and the product, design, and P&L leaders across the globe.
An ideal candidate will take a hands-on approach to deliver a true multi-tenant platform that will power all the brands of Discovery. They build for scale, develop technologies with a long-term outlook, build trust with their engineering team & people from all areas of the business, and have a proven track record. This leader takes end-to-end ownership and consistently delivers results in a fast-paced environment. They are a leader that the team loves to work with because they inspire, develop, and care for their team members.
The ideal candidate is an established leader, responsible for leading and managing a global platform service as it relates to devops workflows for Release Tooling. You are responsible for helping define the mission of your team, inspiring and motivating your team to pursue that mission, and setting strategic goals for them to achieve in that pursuit. You have a balanced understanding of business and technical objectives and your guidance is sought out because your decisions drive the best outcomes for both.
• 8+ years of experience in building and growing a distributed team of engineers with strong skills in devOps workflows as it relates to source code mgmt., branching, CICD workflows, build pipelines for frontend and backend services as global scale
• 5+ years experience is design and architecture of self-serving release tools with a passion for automation and continuous improvements
• 5+ years experience in implementing as-a-service platform capabilities related to devOps workflows in various containerized cloud based services
• You have experience and understanding of developing and managing automated CICD workflows for various iOS, Android, Roku, etc client platform apps and services.
• You understand complexity and ability to simplify process, tools and automation to enable feature velocity without losing quality
• You work across other platform teams that integrate with release tooling pipelines for instrumenting execution of automated testing and deployments
• You have strong skills and experience across various technologies: GitHub, Github Actions, CircleCI, Spinnaker, Jenkins, Docker/Kubernetes, gitOps flows.
• You are proficient in use and understanding of various software programming languages such as ruby, python, go,
• You provide guidance and expertise on system options, risk and impact management, as well as cost vs. benefit analysis
• You uphold and ensure security requirements for tooling, systems, and environments are met and protect the assets of the company and our customers
• You have experience in leading troubleshooting of system and performance problems in Prod/QA/Dev environments
• You have ability to identify improvements to reduce technical debt streamlining towards a global platform service
• You have the ability to work collaboratively within a team environment to meet aggressive goals and pre-defined measurement criteria
• You have excellent written communication, problem solving, process management, cross-team collaboration and high customer empathy
• Strive in a culture of innovation – always exploring ways to say yes and try out new ideas and living outside your comfort zone
• You are comfortable handling multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• You influence teams and groups outside your wider organization with your deep insight and strategic thinking.
• BS/MS in Computer Science or a related technical field
• Must be willing to travel
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.