Software Development Engineer
Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfil the company's mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity. In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive, and grow in their careers.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all our network's brands globally. We are building modern container-based microservices operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more). This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
We are hiring a Director of Engineering to join our team. Discovery is hiring a seasoned engineering leader for the digital and direct to consumer business for Food Network Kitchen and related digital and tech products. As the Director of Engineering, you will be leading engineering teams and work closely with leaders across functional teams to develop, and ship products that delight customers. An ideal candidate will take a hands-on approach to deliver a true multi-tenant platform that will power all the brands of Discovery. They build for scale, develop technologies with a long-term outlook, build trust with their engineering team & people from all areas of the business, and have a proven track record. This leader takes end-to-end ownership and consistently delivers results in a fast-paced environment. They are a leader that the team loves to work with because they inspire, develop, and care for their team members.
• You build, cultivate and grow great teams with great leaders. You lead your team yourself and through your leadership teams.
• The ideal candidate is an established leader, responsible for managing an area or department
• You are responsible for helping define the mission of your team, inspiring and motivating your team to pursue that mission, and setting strategic goals for them to achieve in that pursuit
• You have a balanced understanding of business and technical objectives and your guidance is sought out because your decisions drive the best outcomes for both
• You understand a broad range of computer science concepts, and know how, when, and when not to use them
• You can dive deep into a wide range of technical problems offering suggestions and feedback to your team. Your interest in computer science has not faded as you moved into a leadership role and you are still comfortable with technical details
• You strive in a culture of innovation – always exploring ways to say yes and try out new ideas and living outside your comfort zone
• You are comfortable handling multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
• Deep understanding of how culture and team dynamics create exceptional teams
• Your written and verbal communication skills are top notch. You can distil key points out of complex technical descriptions to share with non-technical stakeholders, adapting your language and style of communication depending on the audience
• You lead by example and do not consider yourself above individual contributor work
• You have demonstrated that you can teams, or an area of strategic importance and significant impact
• You influence teams and groups outside your wider organization with your deep insight and strategic thinking
• You have demonstrated the ability to make great hiring decisions as is evidence by the performance of engineers and managers on your team, and you are able to retain and develop the best engineers and managers
• 7+ years of professional experience architecting, developing, and launching software products and/or services
• 5+ years of experience managing successful engineering teams including hiring and performance management
• Previous experience in media industry preferred
• BS/MS in Computer Science or a related technical field
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.