Software Development Engineer
New York, NY
The Data Analyst will be part of our growing Data strategy & Analytics team. The person will work as both a technical business resource and data analyst to help prioritise requirements based on value and effort, perform data analysis and drive actionable insights.
This person will be a key technical member of analytical projects from the beginning stages of requirements gathering all the way through final product delivery. Thus, this role will require a person with strong analytics experience who is comfortable working with various tools and methodologies.
This will be a hands-on technical role, which will require the ability to assess gaps in functionality and ensure they are corrected to suit the business needs.
The Analyst will be comfortable with the connection and analysis of large, disparate data sets from a variety of sources in order to better understand viewers, increase consumer engagement, optimise ad placement, and improve marketing. This person will need both creativity and attention to detail as they envision and build data solutions that change the face of the TV industry.
1. Data Engineering
• Work closely with the Data Technology team to scope, document, extract, transform and load new data sources into Discovery's central data repository for analytics
• Measure & analyse data quality and performance within Discovery's central data repository for analytics
• Test & QA data coming from various sources to make sure it is legible, clean and transformed before reporting is performed
2. Data Analytics
• Work with managers and stakeholders to fully understand business requirements and desired outcomes
• Document & record data definitions and structure as well as specifications for Business Intelligence reports & dashboards
• QA and test various calculations of dashboards based on business requirements
• Develop & deploy various analytics dashboards
• Assist in scoping & designing analytical projects and solutions.
• Execute analytics projects ranging from small to large either individually or as part of a project team
• Ensure project delivery within the allocated timelines and priorities
• Generate queries & data dictionaries, analyse data and create visualisation/dashboards related to audience and direct-to-consumer insights
• Extract, understand, format and map data from multiple sources into cohesive reports
• Utilise Business Intelligence tools to build reports and dashboards that will allow departments to visualise and interact with data
• Identify gaps and areas of improvement related to data analytics
• Support roll-out of multiple sprints as a key technical resource
3. Advanced Analytics
• Data cleansing & preparation for analysis
• Work closely with data science team to support data and statistical models
• Identify opportunities to create and automate repeatable analysis or build self-service tools for business users
• Create repeatable processes to support similar business problems in the future
• Stay current with new analytical tools and industry trends
• Bachelor's degree in Business, Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics or Data Science
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with at least 2-3 years of work experience
• Proficiency & advanced level understanding of MS Excel is a must
• Deep experience in developing queries and reporting based upon user requirements
• Thorough understanding of data modelling and relational/non-relational databases
• Hands-on, extensive & proven experience with data visualisation tools such as Tableau and Power BI
• A sound grasp of Adobe Analytics and other reporting tools
• Knowledge of CRM tools
• Experience with modern statistical learning methods (regression techniques, classification models, supervised and unsupervised learning, etc.)
• Familiar with statistical packages such as R or the Python scientific stack (NumPy, SciPy, scikit-learn, etc.)
• Experience with Amazon Web Services (RedShift, S3, EC2, EMR, etc.)
• Genuine interest in the rapidly changing video industry with understanding of OTT video services and direct to consumer technologies
• Working experience/certifications in Agile (Scrum) and/or Lean (Kanban) delivery frameworks preferred
• Strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
• Ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach other
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.