- Full Time
- Senior (5-10 years) Experience
Discovery Inc is the world's #1 pay-TV programmer reaching 2.7 billion subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories. Global Technology & Operations (GT&O) provides technological infrastructure and operations support to ensure audiences can enjoy Discovery's programming around the world and across platforms. Already a leader in the factual and lifestyle genres, Discovery has expanded its core business into new genres: sports, entertainment and kids. Its platforms and product eco-systems are now engaged in terrestrial/free-to-air, OTT products and content development/production companies.
The Way We Work
Discovery continues to grow around the world and across platforms. GT&O is building media technology and systems that meet world class standards for which Discovery is known.
Our culture and leadership traits are in evolution as we expand from a traditional linear Pay TV business towards a convergent media and entertainment business that encompasses digital and mobile. Discovery is developing direct-to-consumer relationships, while delivering traditional platforms, with innovative solutions. Discovery is looking to embrace a dynamic and entrepreneurial individual that has the one team mentality.
The Cloud Cost Engineer role reports into the Cloud Cost Management team within GT&O. The team is responsible for overseeing large and critical investments in multi-cloud environment around the globe – offering advisory services, cost modeling and strategic analysis, executive and financial reporting, and cost governance and optimization.
The Cloud Cost Engineer will be a critical member of the team working directly with our cloud clients, leadership, and vendors:
• Monitor cloud consumption in various accounts and projects to determine areas for resource efficiency
• Manage the cloud CMDB and perform resource mapping and tagging. Build overlays to generate insightful reports
• Comprehend complex architectural diagrams to determine cloud resource setup and workflow
• Perform consumption analysis to define and execute Reserved Instances and Savings Plans
• Track utilization of cloud reservation/savings plans and work with teams to re-purpose freed up capacity
• Evaluate data patterns/outliers and derive insightful knowledge that can inform strategic and operational decisions
• Analyze cloud services and deployed resources to inform contractual negotiations relating service discounts and commitment levels
• Collaborate with cost optimization engineer to build, understand, and govern cost and operational policies
• Live in cloud accounts and work with clients on ongoing basis to help them understand their cloud spend and optimize it based on their unique needs
• Act as subject matter expert in advising on new and different cloud services and resources
• Participate in business case development and cost modeling exercises
• Participate as needed in projects relating pulling cost data from new vendors (via API queries/Python)
Candidate should have:
• Advanced understanding of cloud platforms, consoles, and services (AWS, Google, Azure) to include- Cost Explorer, Cost and Usage Reports, Reserved Instances, Savings Plans, Sustained Use Discounts/Committed and other cloud cost mechanics
• Knowledge of cloud CMDB such as CloudAware
• Knowledge of CDN services and providers such as Akamai
• Knowledge in Python, API queries, and Power BI is a plus
• Passion for and skills in resource optimization to improve cloud efficiency
• Leader and a team player with transformation mindset
• S trong organizational, task, and project management skills
• Self-driven and able to work across diverse technical and non-technical teams
• Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
• Ability to operate successfully in a lean, agile, and fast-paced organization
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
• BS degree in Computer Science or Business; MS preferred
• Background as SRE/Devops engineer is a plus
• +5 years of relevant work experience at a large-scale global company
• Knowledge in SQL queries, Amazon Aurora, and PostgresSQL is a plus
This position is partially remote- Geographical presence near Silver Spring, Maryland or Knoxville, TN is preferred
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.