Full Time Job
- Full Time
- Mid (2-5 years) Experience
Reporting to the Senior Manager Engineering. The Broadcast Engineer implements, maintains, and supports all aspects of our growing network and broadcast infrastructure. You will be part of an Engineering team that contributes to scoping, analysis, design, development, testing, deployment, and support of highly available network architectures and broadcast services that meet business objectives and SLAs.
Discovery Communications is the world's #1 Pay TV programmer delivering an average of 6-8 TV brands in >220 countries and territories. With recent acquisitions in New Zealand, Discovery has significantly increased its FTA footprint in APAC. Over the last 3 years, the international division ex US has doubled in size. Already a leader in the factual and lifestyle genres, Discovery has expanded its core business into new genres: sports, entertainment and kids. In terms of its platform and product eco-system, it is now engaged in terrestrial/free-to-air, OTT products and production companies.
The Way We Work
Our culture and general leadership traits are in evolution as we migrate from being a traditional linear Pay TV business towards a convergent media and entertainment business that encompasses digital and mobile platforms. We will develop direct consumer relationships while still supporting our traditional platform partners with innovative solutions to help them grow and evolve their businesses. Generally, we are looking to embrace a 'maker' culture in a dynamic, entrepreneurial, youthful and low hierarchy setting akin to Silicon Valley tech firms. We are looking for the brightest candidates to support this journey.
• Day-to-day support and oversight of key owned broadcast support systems. This also involves coordinating upgrades, service change planning and any test and validation procedures with outside vendors.
• Liaise with service providers and vendors to resolve technical issues and ensure the smooth support/operation of third-party technical systems in a timely manner. Monitor and document support to ensure that it is delivered within defined and contracted levels.
• Build and maintain technical relationships with key service providers and with internal stakeholders
• Partner and collaborate with peers internationally across the entire organization
• Act as technical lead in assigned projects and oversee implementation from concept through research, architecture and design to delivery and commissioning. This will entail working with our vendors, as being involved in the validation testing of project deliverables.
• Develop best practices and procedures relating to systems operation and support. Generate technical documentation, both written documents and appropriate engineering drawings including test and validation documents where appropriate
• Prioritise daily duties and tasks as directed by department Leader and manage time effectively
• Proactively identify and resolve any business risks within the Discovery TV network environment and provide recommendations to reduce the risks.
• Follow the Employer's health and safety policies and procedures, and any modifications to those policies and procedures that may be introduced from time to time.
• Work in a rostered shift environment which can be hours outside of normal business hours and be available
• Developing and enhancing capability to setup and support IT-based broadcast systems within the Engineering Team, in line with architectural roadmap and guidelines
• Making decisions around functionality, scope, priority, criticality, technical, quality and operational requirements
• Ongoing technical support, enhancement, maintenance, problem management, change management, platform performance, and lifecycle management
• Relationships with internal and external suppliers including Operations and external vendors and partners
• Supporting the implementation and ongoing lifecycle management of modern, best-practice, appropriate, agile platforms, techniques and technologies
• Work with different business units and technology teams to define the prioritized backlog, identify, clarify, and resolve complex issues to ensure successful delivery and support.
• Work collaboratively with other engineers across IT to ensure alignment or practices, processes and successful co-existence of the current technology and new IT
• Previous experience as a Broadcast Engineer
• Avid interplay system, Telestream Vantage, Louth Automation, Asset management systems and Grass Valley K2 playout
• An understanding of Satellite systems and headends
• Strong current experience across a range of leading business and technology platforms and tools, including SaaS and PaaSSolid knowledge of and ability to apply advanced software development principles, methodologies, theories, programming languages & concepts
• Knowledge of technology trends and emerging technologies
• Strong communications skills, ability to communicate and interact with Business Stakeholders and Senior Management
• Ability to find a resolution of technical issues with analytical and effective problem-solving capabilities
• Demonstrable ability to effectively use data driven problem solving tools and techniques
• Ability to handle multiple, concurrent priorities and deliver to planned commitments
• Knowledge of AWS-based broadcast technologies and SDN
• Datacenter Automation and the usage of Cloud (IaaS, PaaS) solutions (AWS, Google and Azure)
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rvp5bm-3-235-65-220-42 in your application.
Find More Jobs Like This
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.