The Detroit Tigers are currently seeking a full-time Principal Quantitative Analyst in the Baseball Operations Department. This role will be responsible for performing analyses and conducting research within Baseball Operations. This position will report to the Director, Baseball Research & Development.
• Develop and productionize Bayesian models to support Baseball Operations decision-making.
• Assist with the integration of baseball analysis into our proprietary tools and applications.
• Provide technical guidance to Analysts and Analytics Associates.
• Complete ad hoc data queries and effectively present analysis through the use of written reports and data visualizations.
• Monitor, identify and recommend new or emerging techniques, technologies, models and algorithms.
• Other projects as directed by Baseball Operations leadership team.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ph.D. in statistics, mathematics, computer science, or a related quantitative field or equivalent professional experience (3-5 years).
• Experience applying Bayesian statistical techniques (e.g. Bayesian hierarchical models) to real-world problems.
• Demonstrated expert-level knowledge of baseball-specific data and sabermetric analysis.
• Relevant work experience with statistical software (R, STATA, SPSS, SAS, or similar) and scripting languages such as Python.
• Expertise with SQL and relational databases is required.
• Experience with cloud computing preferred.
• Team player.
• Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays as dictated by the baseball calendar.
• Office environment
• Evening, weekend, and holiday hours required
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gx250q-44-197-101-251-42 in your application.