CNN invented cable news in 1980, defined online news in 1995 and is now taking the next step in expanding what news can be by launching CNN+. With an unrivaled global reach, storytelling, and world class talent, we are building CNN+, a streaming product that will grow the reach and scope of the CNN brand in a way that no one else is doing.
We are journalists, designers and technologists, all united by a powerful mission to inform, engage and empower the world. Join the most trusted and recognized name in news as we build our next chapter.
CNN+ will launch in Q1 2022, bringing exciting new premium CNN streaming content directly to CNN superfans. The 10-foot viewing experience is a critical part of the CNN+ product offering.
As a Staff Software Developer, CNN+ Set Top Box Devices, you will lead technical efforts to build out world-class connected TV streaming video applications across an ever-growing number of devices and platforms, in order to bring CNN+ to our users!
In this role, you'll have technical ownership of major features and product initiatives for our connected TV applications. Your main focus will be on shipping: everything from brand new features, to platform ports, to bug fixes. You'll be successful in this role if you can take an undefined problem statement, work with a cross functional team to turn it into a concrete, well-scoped technical plan, and then deliver a high quality solution in a consistent and predictable way. This requires strong technical and non-technical communication skills, and deep knowledge of the full connected TV app development lifecycle.
In this role, you'll be expected to make significant individual contributions, but you'll also act as a technical leader on the team. You'll mentor and guide other engineers in their day to day work. You'll ensure the team is following high quality software engineering practices - continuous integration, effective test coverage, automated testing, positive and constructive code reviews, and low friction development environments. Finally, as a leader in the engineering organization, you'll model and evangelize a positive, inclusive, and constructive way of working for your team.
• Make significant, high quality code contributions to the project.
• Lead discussions, create documentation, or create work tickets to ensure other engineers on the team have enough detail, context, and direction on their current and future projects to make progress autonomously.
• Lead or participate in technical design and discovery activities within your team to support product roadmap definition.
• Contribute to high level planning, roadmap definition, and architecture design with teams across the organization.
• Provide technical mentorship to other engineers - provide positive, constructive code reviews; teach engineering best practices and debugging techniques; give pointers to educational resources; etc.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, and experience in effectively communicating with both technical and non-technical job functions within an organization.
• Demonstrated success in working with a cross functional team to deliver high quality software in an iterative, predictable, and sustainable way.
The Nice To Haves
• Experience developing connected TV applications
• Experience developing an application in a resource constrained environment (e.g limited GPU, CPU, Memory)
• Demonstrated success in evangelizing for high quality software development practices on a team - appropriate test coverage, automation, CI/CD, etc.
• Demonstrated success in rapidly learning new technologies, languages, or frameworks
• Experience with the Lightning framework, WebGL, or a modern web framework (Angular, Vue, Svelte, React, etc)
• Experience with Typescript
• Passionate about performance and creating amazing experiences for CNN+ users
WarnerMedia welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gpxeyo-52-23-219-12-42 in your application.