The Systems Engineer II is a member of a technical team that supports and enhances systems that record, edit, and play back video for broadcast and handle metadata and News information for CNN's family of networks. Daily tasks include automating common tasks like software deployment, log analysis, and system recovery. Many systems were developed in-house, typically on Linux, while others are provided by vendors like Evertz, IPV, Avid, and Harmonic. This team works closely with internal development and quality/testing teams to make sure CNN has robust and properly operating tools.
This engineer provides expert-level design, maintenance, configuration, and support of information technology systems in a 24x7x365 news and entertainment production environment with attention to availability, performance, capacity planning, and security. Frequently works on large projects in planning, execution and documentation phases in an Agile, DevOps context.
This is a Monday-Friday, nine-to-five type role with off-hours deployment and on-call responsibilities.
• 3+ years experience in systems administration or software development
• 2+ years experience automating tasks in at least one scripting language (Perl, Python, Ruby, Bash, etc.)
• Advanced skills with Linux (as a server), preferably CentOS/RedHat
• Moderate skill with Windows Server
• Experience with our current technical stack is a plus: Evertz, Harmonic, IPV, Adobe, Avid, Telestream, ffmpeg; broadcast or post production experience are plusses
• Familiarity with our current slate of software tools is a plus: Chef, Apache, ELK, Redis, Mongo, Node.js
• Experience with general IT infrastructure (storage, networking, etc.) highly desirable
• Experience with enterprise support systems and the ITIL framework highly desirable
• Experience with application and infrastructure monitoring and analytics
The Nice to Haves
• Good analytical thinking skills, esp. in the realm of system troubleshooting
• Strong communication skills, including written/drawn documentation and verbal customer/executive interactions
• Team spirit, enjoyment of collaboration
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-reznx2-3-238-132-225-42 in your application.