CNN+ will launch in Q1 2022, bringing exciting new premium CNN streaming content directly to CNN superfans. A critical part of the CNN+ product offering is an interactive community aspect. As Engineering Manager, Interactive Community, you will be responsible for leading a team of engineers to build out a dynamic, innovative experience that will allow CNN+ users to interact directly with CNN talent and experts about the issues that matter most to them.
At CNN, we care deeply about our team culture and values. As an Engineering Manager, one of your primary responsibilities will be to cultivate and advance that culture, and lead your team to do the same. We value positivity and inclusion. We want everyone to enjoy coming to work every day, and we want every person's voice to be heard. We organize ourselves cross-functionally, and empower teams to operate autonomously, but not in isolation. We recognize that business, product, and technical requirements change over time, and strive to work iteratively to meet those changes. We expect engineering teams to effectively manage technical debt, and make good tradeoffs between moving fast now and being able to move fast in the future. If you share these values, and are excited about the idea of fostering them on your team, you'll be a great fit for this role!
Along with team culture, you'll be responsible for supporting your employees and helping them grow. You'll be expected to spend time with your team on career coaching, goal setting, performance management, and collecting and delivering frequent and constructive feedback.
In addition to helping your team be happy and grow, you'll provide support and leadership to help them work productively. To be successful in this role, you'll need excellent communication skills, and the ability to navigate a wide range of contexts - from code reviewing a bug fix, to untangling technical dependencies with other teams, to defining feature backlogs with product management and design. You'll also be responsible for ensuring that your teams have the context, support, and processes they need in order to make predictable progress toward milestones and deadlines. If you have experience in setting teams up for success, and helping them stay on that path over time, this is a great opportunity to put that experience to work on a high profile, impactful, and rapidly growing product area within CNN+.
• Hold 1-on-1s with your reports, where you'll deliver and receive feedback, help set goals, and coach them on how to advance their careers.
• Facilitate team ceremonies - daily standups, weekly team meetings, retrospectives, etc.
• Lead or be involved in design, discovery, technical planning, and status discussions within your team, where you'll help set direction and context, and identify any gaps or blockers.
• Be involved in discussions around high level planning, roadmaps, and status with teams across the organization.
• When possible, contribute directly to your team's work by writing code and doing code reviews - without setting yourself up as a blocker for critical work.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, and experience in effectively communicating with a wide range of technical and non-technical job functions within an organization
• Demonstrated success in working with a team to deliver high quality software in an iterative, predictable, and sustainable way
• Experience in some form of engineering leadership: formal or informal, technical or managerial
• Experience in building, testing, shipping, and maintaining web applications
• Experience in directly managing other engineers
• Experience with web apps that have any of the following aspects: consumer facing, based on digital media, highly interactive, dynamic, and/or responsive. Both client and server side experience are valued.
• Experience with one or more modern web frameworks (Vue, Svelte, React, Angular, etc)
• Experience in developing streaming video applications
• Experience in developing mobile and 10-foot device applications
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gwnkjn-3-236-232-99-42 in your application.