Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR
CNN is looking for a proactive journalist who is passionate about Asia and would relish the challenge of becoming a Field Producer based in our Hong Kong Production Center. The successful candidate will be primarily assigned to stories in Asia but may be required to cover news anywhere in the world.
The Field Producer is part of CNN's award winning International Newsgathering operation. Responsibilities include coming up with ideas for distinctive stories, researching them and making successful pitches to editorial leaders. The successful candidate will then see stories through to broadcast and publication. He/she will work closely with television and digital staff on all stories so having good communication skills is essential.
Field Producers work hand in glove with some of the world's most respected correspondents and will be required to operate at the highest standard. During the course of managing a story, the successful candidate will ensure that legal and editorial integrity issues are handled according to company policy. Field Producers are also required to work up budgets for stories and ensure those budgets are adhered to.
Breaking news is a key component of what CNN does. Field Producers are often deployed into the field to cover a wide range of stories including riots, natural disasters, wars, terrorist attacks, big political developments and a whole lot more. You will be required to move at a moment's notice and could spend long periods of time away from home – often in pretty tough conditions.
Keeping our teams safe is a priority for CNN. We have robust security protocols and the Field Producer plays an important role in that.
Field Producing at CNN is not for the faint hearted. It's a very tough and demanding job but is one of the most rewarding in our company. The experiences you will have and the people you will meet will stay with you for life.
What will you be doing?
- Field Producing is a key position which requires making editorial decisions, coordinating logistics and overseeing the quality of our news coverage in the field and in the Hong Kong bureau. This person will be in charge of live producing, package producing, coordinating breaking news events and working with our security experts to ensure that safety is managed properly.
- A field producer must also have a strong understanding of both television and digital requirements and be able to produce content to a high standard.
- The successful candidate must have strong writing skills. Stories usually require copious amounts of research, vetting appropriate sources for information and obtaining the right video/stills. The length of a field producer's day varies depending on the news agenda and may differ when working in the bureau or on assignment.
- This position may also require working on the newsgathering desk as/when needed.
- The Field Producer provides clear guidance and feedback between the field and newsgathering desks.
- Knowledge of Company policy is part of the Producer's responsibilities.
- Liaising with internal security and logistics staff to ensure teams are kept safe.
- Providing editorial guidance to all our platforms on international issues in APAC.
- Handling money and keeping across budgets for assignments.
What do we need from you?
- BA/BS degree and/or related discipline experience
- Experience in newsgathering and TV and Digital production.
- Field producing or reporting experience for TV and/or Digital.
- Knowledge of TV news logistics and technical requirements
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize between tasks under difficult conditions.
- Prior field experience in difficult environments
- Ability to travel at a moment's notice and stay away from home for long periods.
- Strong interest in world affairs including business news
- Experience of managing high pressure newsgathering situations
- Ability to broadcast and write stories in English when required
- Can serve as an editorial gatekeeper for the network, ensuring all content adheres to CNN's Standard and Practices guidelines
- Excellent command of the English language; other Asian or foreign languages are very beneficial