New York, NY
Clarkson Potter, a leading publisher of illustrated lifestyle books in the categories of Food & Drink, Design, Photography, Gift & Pop Culture, and Entertainment, is excited to hire a Senior Editor for our cookbook team. Some of our best-selling and award-winning culinary authors include David Chang, Melissa Clark, Ina Garten, Gina Homolka, Ronni Lundy, Claire Saffitz, Rodney Scott, Chrissy Teigen, Toni Tipton-Martin, and Christina Tosi.
This is a stellar position for candidates with a passion for identifying and guiding visually, narratively, and conceptually appealing culinary work. We're aiming to find someone who's able and excited to work with authors to make smart, cool, and beautiful things to entertain and inspire their audiences.
The Senior Editor will acquire and edit 10 to 12 cookbooks per year. Our process and culture require editors to work in a collaborative environment with other members of the editorial team, as well as our design, production, marketing, and publicity departments-and of course the authors themselves, whom we view as both our talent and our partners. We expect the Senior Editor to develop a list that speaks to, and is representative of, the diversity of our potential audiences and our society as a whole.
Specific duties include but aren't limited to:
• Identifying trends and great stories, and recruiting authors and creatives;
• Evaluating book proposals and building the commercial and cultural cases for their acquisition;
• Negotiating and managing relationships with agents;
• Engaging and partnering with authors to fully realize their vision, collaborating throughout the acquisition and production processes;
• Managing production schedules;
• Collaborating with designers, art directors, and production teams;
• Representing the publisher, design, and production teams when working with the author, and representing the author when working with our publisher, design, and production teams.
We're looking for you to offer:
• Strong written and verbal communication skills;
• Strong understanding of culinary processes and methods (direct experience in recipe writing and editing is a plus);
• Editorial experience working on complex, full-color books or other content-rich media spaces;
• In-depth understanding of the acquiring process, and a strong record of acquisitions or assignments;
• Direct experience taking multiple concurrent projects from conception to completion;
• A strong record of meeting deadlines with effective organization and prioritization skills;
• Diplomacy and sensitivity in handling delicate conversations within a collaborative environment;
• Extensive team coordination experience (including designers, photographers and writer-author collaborations).
We've created our interview process to enable you to demonstrate your skills as much as possible, starting with the application. With this in mind, please expand in a cover letter why you're putting yourself forward to join the team at Clarkson Potter! Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gx3nwq-18-204-227-34-42 in your application.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.