CBS Television Stations
Fort Worth, TX
CBS News and Stations, brings together the power of CBS News, 28 owned television stations in 17 major US markets, CBSN, CBSN Local platforms, local websites and cbsnews.com, under one umbrella. CBS News and Stations is home to the nation's #1 news program 60 MINUTES, CBSN, the first 24/7 digital streaming news network, the award-winning broadcasts CBS MORNINGS, CBS SATURDAY MORNING, the CBS EVENING NEWS WITH NORAH O'DONNELL, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, CBS WEEKEND NEWS, 48 HOURS and FACE THE NATION WITH MARGARET BRENNAN. CBS News and Stations also produces the award-winning 60 MINUTES+ for Paramount+. CBS News and Stations provides news and information for the CBS Television Network, CBSNews.com, CBSN, CBS News Radio and podcasts, CBS Mobile, Paramount + and other digital platforms. CBS News and Stations is dedicated to providing the highest quality journalism under standards it pioneered and continues to set in today's digital age. CBS News earns more prestigious journalism awards than any other broadcast network.
The Assistant Director of Engineering reports to the Director of Broadcast Operations and Technology. They assist in the planning and design of station and remote broadcast systems; assure quality control of all installations; Assist the Director in capital planning and department expense budget; and oversee station documentation for all electronic installations. They must ensure daily maintenance issues are being resolved in a timely manner, staff development opportunities are being utilized, and projects are being completed on schedule and within budget. The Assistant Director of Engineering supervises the Engineering, Information Services and Technical Operations Center staff, and along with the Director, they manifest a creative focus to develop the team's skill sets, providing the environment, tools and training needed to keep them growing, with relevance, engagement, and passion in an ever-changing technological field.
• Participate in the development and the efficient implementation of the business' long-term technology strategies including, the annual capital plan and management of multiple complex large-scale projects. Manage department operating budgets, forecasts, plans and reports.
• Oversee the purchasing of equipment and the coordination of the stations' technological planning and development.
• Maintain relationships with vendors, and local distribution partners.
• Manage the implementation, commissioning, documentation and operational handoff of new technology.
• Ensure the successful handoff and maintenance of all relevant documentation, system knowledge and support processes to the support & operational teams.
• Promote and ensure the use of key documentation processes and the transfer of knowledge across teams.
• Facilitate ongoing continuing education on new technologies and train the Maintenance staff on new systems and operations.
• Work directly with the News Department to plan and implement special production and event coverage as necessary.
• Provide the highest possible ''quality of service'' by providing technical and operations excellence for the local operations, enabling them to provide compelling news, programming and service to our viewers, clients and partners.
• Lead, mentor and develop the performance of the technical and operations teams including technology, IT, and TOC
• Along with the TOC manager, determine the source of all on-air technical problems or mistakes and take any necessary action to prevent such mistakes from reoccurring.
• Ensures compliance with FCC, OSHA, EPA and local regulations, and performs other duties as assigned.
Candidate must have a minimum 5 years of experience in the television industry with solid design engineering and troubleshooting skills. A degree in Engineering, Broadcast, or IT related field is preferred. Prior management skills, similar position held and/or training experience is highly desired. Strong working knowledge of digital video systems, network and IT is required. Strong follow-through, record keeping, written communication, and interpersonal skills required.
• Background in digital audio/video technologies at all levels of production.
• Data network, data communications, computer systems and broadcast technologies experience.
• Working knowledge of computer operating systems (Windows, Linux, Oracle, etc.) and security patching.
• Knowledge of multi-channel station automation and servers.
• File-based newsroom workflows, editing experience and newscast automation.
• HD routing switchers, production switchers and audio matrix, cameras, robotics and multi-viewers experience
• Understanding of ATSC 1.0 & 3.0 signals, MPEG2, MPEG4, DOLBY AC3, CALM ACT, EAS, CAP.
• Demonstrated ability to lead, manage and motivate a team
ViacomCBS is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-roxj71-54-227-97-219-42 in your application.