Software Engineer Mobile - Android
The Stats & Information group is a shared service that powers premium Gambling and Fantasy Statistics and Insights for SportsLine.com, CBS' Fantasy Commissioner product, CBSSports HQ, and a variety of other CBS Sports.com products.
In addition to statistical feeds, we provide written analysis for our network of producers, programmers, editors and writers.
We currently ingest vendor provided stats and feeds into an older database. We run advanced mathematical models using these same databases (sports specific) that power the proprietary stats and information described above. The individual hired for this position will lead the effort to upgrade this infrastructure and will be the team's primary full stack data engineer.
Develop custom reports and front-end admin tools that allow our team of analysts to view data, analyze a wide variety of sports betting / fantasy markets and enter written analysis directly into the database which ultimately gets included in our various custom data feeds.
Support new data science initiatives including enhancing predictive algorithms already supporting live products as well as develop new models for additional sports markets including but not limited to soccer, golf, tennis, racing and combat sports.
• Work with Stats & Feeds Engineering team to validate that all vendor provided factual sports stats and information are properly ingested into this newly upgraded Stats & Information database, resolving issues when they arise.
• Setup new vendor feeds if/when the Stats & Feeds Engineering team is not already supporting it.
• Monitor the integrity of data feeds we provide our various end users.
• Upgrade the existing Stats & Information database to both support and maintain current services while also setting up for development of new services.
• While the first 6-12 months will primarily be focused on the database upgrade described above, depending on critical business needs and our team interests this role, even in this initial period of time, will involve a significant amount of development of new predictive models that deliver value to our target invested fans and CBS Sports end users.
• Modernize the data storage and surrounding processes for the Stats & Information group.
• There are 'untapped' data sets (some from vendors, others publicly available) that will allow us to innovate and you will set up processes that ingest these new sources into our database and create the environment that allows us to build new innovative predictive models.
What you bring to the team:
You have -
• Experience developing and using web based APIs
• Experience with a variety of commonly used databases designed for statistical research and data science purposes.
• Well versed in scripting language skills (Python, R, etc.)
• Passion for a wide variety of sports and a deep understanding of sports statistics and advanced analytics
You might also have -
• Familiarity with Access databases and VBA.
• Experience with open source solutions, using and deploying on cloud based platforms (primarily AWS)
• Experience with client-side frameworks such as React, AngularJS and Node.js
• Experience with native AWS cloud based capabilities (Lambda, API Gateway, etc)
• Deep understanding of current web technologies and trends, including Linux, RESTful APIs, Relational & NoSQL Datastores(MySQL, Redis, DynamoDB), among others.
FUNCTION: Data and Research
CBS Interactive is the premier online content network for information and online operations of ViacomCBS as well as some of the top native digital brands in the entertainment industry.