New York, NY
ViacomCBS Streaming is the home to some of the world's preeminent innovative streaming services and digital video products, including Paramount+, Pluto TV, CBSN and other premier online content networks for information and entertainment. It is a division of ViacomCBS, a leading global media and entertainment company that creates premium content and experiences for audiences worldwide.
The Sr. Counsel, will support a variety of legal functions for CBS Entertainment Group's digital businesses, particularly for the CBS News and CBS Media Ventures (Entertainment Tonight, Inside Edition, Rachael Ray, The Drew Barrymore Show, Dr. Phil and The Doctors) brands, such as:
• support for CBSN and ET Live, two of ViacomCBS's streaming platforms
• digital content licensing, strategic partnerships, product development and engineering, advertising sales and operations, digital content production, native advertising and marketing
• support for product, engineering, and other digital business teams with legal advice across many subject areas including privacy and data protection laws and regulations, regulatory compliance and corporate compliance
The position requires an attorney with a minimum of 8 years of transactional experience which could include transactional experience negotiating and drafting commercial agreements, product counsel experience, and/or entertainment marketing or production experience. The successful candidate will be a diligent and proactive individual with excellent business judgment and critical thinking, and with the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a collegial, fast-paced team environment.
Key roles of the position will include:
• Review, draft, negotiate and analyze a wide variety of commercial agreements, including content licensing and acquisition deals, strategic partnerships, affiliate link deals, and vendor agreements.
• Work with Product teams to review product changes and advise on legal risks and issues.
• Coordinate with attorneys supporting linear content production.
• Manage risk and advise regarding original content production and distribution of linear content.
• Negotiate agreements that align with company policies and risk tolerance.
• Advise internal clients on legal issues and risks, complex deal structures, approval processes, company policies and procedures, IP, online privacy, and negotiation strategy.
• Assist with the continuous development and improvement of the legal team and its processes.
• JD degree with excellent academic credentials and global law firm experience in either corporate law or commercial and IP transactions; online media experience preferred; admitted to the New York or California Bar.
• In-depth experience in contract drafting and analysis, with broad transactional background in areas such as media transactions, digital distribution, technology and content licensing, or entertainment production agreements.
• Excellent negotiation skills.
• Strong interpersonal and organizational skills and the ability to manage simultaneous projects under deadline pressure.
• Flexibility and willingness to work on a broad variety of legal matters.
• Superior verbal and written communication skills.
• Must successfully pass a background check.
• In addition, ViacomCBS will be guided by applicable federal, state and local laws when considering for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d934z9-3-236-170-171-42 in your application.
CBS Interactive is the premier online content network for information and online operations of ViacomCBS as well as some of the top native digital brands in the entertainment industry.