Manager, Production Facility Services & Operations
New York, NY
This 6-month assignment as Freelance Director, Environmental, Health & Safety will support the Vice President of Business Operations & Environmental, Health and Safety to ensure that CBS Sports and CBS Sports Network Division's EHS needs are met and that the overall strategy is executed.
As a key member of Environment, Health & Safety Operations Team, the Director, EHS will oversee and be responsible for the planning, and implementation for EHS programs and policies for remote productions and fixed facilities. This results-oriented, collaborative leader will be expected to lead a high-performing team that is well-integrated into CBS Sports fast-paced and innovative culture.
They will have in-depth knowledge of and experience implementing better than best in industry procedures, programs and policies designed to ensure environmental, industrial, health and safety regulation compliance globally, be hands-on, detail oriented and purpose driven to set and meet deadlines.
• Ensures strict compliance with federal, state, and local regulations pertaining to environmental, health and safety and serves as point of contact with appropriate agencies.
• Ensures that all CBS Sports' employees, vendors, and contractors are provided with a safe, healthy, and compliant work environment at all times by supporting the safety programs and culture that focus EHS as a detail to be integrated into all tasks.
• Ensures immediate and appropriate corrective action is taken where health and safety hazards exist.
• Ensures compliance with statutory requirements and work with Management teams to identify and manage risks.
• Manages regulatory agency inspections, inquiries, contacts, and reporting in accordance with corporate and regulatory requirements.
• Ensures regular H&S assessments, inspections and safety checks are completed and communicated to the appropriate teams.
• Ensures EHS record keeping and data integrity for accurate reporting and metrics that support safety initiatives.
• Supports sites with emergency response preparation, including the development of emergency response teams, training and drills.
• Develops and implements training for all personnel to assure understanding of environmental health and safety programs.
• Supports the development and implementation of tools and technologies that lead to continued improvements in EHS support in the field.
• Performs and directs EHS functions to ensure assistance to television and creative services productions for all health and safety issues.
• Ensures productions have implemented the required elements of an effective EHS Program, analyzes and responds to safety concerns, and ensures quick and appropriate resolution.
• Keeps abreast of pending regulatory developments through reference sources; obtains insight on legislative agendas at state and federal levels.
• Performs periodic cost and productivity analyses.
• Works with affected departments and management to develop and implement employee injury prevention strategies and program(s). Monitors program effectiveness and adjusts as necessary.
• Creates and manages production safety website pages and updates as necessary. Also manages Production Safety Website administration, access dissemination and updates.
• Manages assigned staff to ensure they perform other duties as necessary to support the functions and goals associated with the EHS Process.
• Bachelor of Science degree (Masters preferred) in safety, environmental science, engineering, industrial management or similar field.
• Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) strongly preferred.
Language / Communication:
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills required, as well as the ability to maintain a calm, professional demeanor in demanding situations.
• Strong soft skills required to develop good working relationships with studio and production management and to interact productively with a broad range of people and personalities. Must be skilled in using diplomacy and tact to resolve difficult issues.
Mathematical / Reasoning Skills:
• Able to perform college-level algebraic and physics calculations.
• Exceptional computer skills associated with web-based applications and work activities. Learning Management System experience is necessary.
• Thorough knowledge of OSHA, EPA, DOT, FAA, FCC, FDA regulations and the production environment required.
• Knowledge of federal, state and local health, safety and environmental laws and regulations to ensure organizational compliance.
• Proven experience (7+ years) leading occupational health/safety programs. In-depth knowledge of EHS field. Prior experience in production safety strongly preferred.
• Film or television-production work or experience a plus.
• Excellent team-building skills with demonstrated abilities in safety leadership and/or leading a safety program in a dynamic environment, with proven track record to lead, motivate, inspire and manage a team of EH&S professionals.
• Excellent project management skills, including the identification and scheduling of project deliverables, budget, breakthroughs, tasks, and deadlines. Ability to effectively work across a broad spectrum of functions within business units with a proactive, assertive, sense of urgency to problem solving.
• Solid presentation and negotiation skills with ability to present technical information and concepts in order to initiate change and drive initiatives across the organization
• Ability to exercise professional judgment, sometimes in difficult or stressful conditions, in assessing hazards and demanding corrections.
• Must be able to work independently and operate effectively without supervision and with minimal instruction.
• Must handle and protect sensitive information with discretion.
• Flexibility required to adapt to the changing needs and schedules of productions. Must be able to manage and prioritize multiple assignments in multiple locations.
ViacomCBS delivers premium content to audiences across traditional and emerging platforms worldwide. Through television, streaming and digital content, studio production, publishing, live events, merchandise and more, we connect with billions of people.