New York, NY
CBS Tech / COE a division of ViacomCBS, is engaged in maintaining the quality, reliability and innovation in production and distribution of the CBS & CW Networks. This position is an opportunity to join the CBS & CW Network Distribution team, whose mission is to maintain critical high-visibility content delivery. The position involves oversight of two operational areas:
CBS New York Transmission Center. This is the core for all signals entering & leaving the CBS Broadcast Center. Operating 24x7, the staff are responsible for establishing all daily incoming remote feeds, monitoring all permanent connections to other facilities, and the routing, compression and satellite transmission of the CBS and CW Network program feeds to Affiliates.
CBS Affiliate Systems Engineering. The area responsible for the development, engineering, deployment and on-going daily support of all hardware and software used at Network Affiliate locations to provide the fulltime distribution of the CBS and CW Networks. Provides key development efforts for new distribution technologies. This team works directly with Affiliates' engineering management to ensure maximum Quality of Service.
We are looking for a Director of Broadcast Distribution Engineering & Operations who is experienced, focused and dedicated to providing quality & efficiency in broadcast network television transmission and interconnection systems. You will collaborate with internal clients & engineers to design, build and deploy distribution technology for the Networks of CBS, CW, Dabl, and PitchBlue Syndication. In addition to distribution systems, the position also supports the internal global Video and Data WANs linking CBS production & News facilities, and the remote venues in support of CBS Sports & Entertainment.
• Manage and resolve operational issues within the CBS New York Transmission Center
• Maintain performance of all technical systems used in Distribution & Signal Intake.
• Support daily requirements of Technical Maintenance teams in debug & repair of distribution systems.
• Review daily logs and call reports from Affiliate stations reporting issues with Network delivery. Track performance metrics for system performance, maintenance, and resolution.
• Provide direct support to CBS Sports & News for daily, weekly, and special event requirements.
• Collaborate with other team members of CBS Tech / COE to ensure priorities and best practices, meet or exceed department and business KPI's .
• Define, engineer & test improved transmission efficiency via satellite. Project involves moving to higher order modulation, more efficient compression, and improvements to Affiliate downlink systems.
• Supervise Affiliate and Local adoption of C-Band Re-pack technologies.
• Research, propose, prototype, specify and deploy an IP based Internet or Private Line IP delivery solution to Affiliates.
• Investigate methods to convert core facilities and systems to support an IP based infrastructure migration.
• Collaborate in designing and implementing new intra- and inter-facility transmission facilities.
What you bring to the team:
You have -
• BSEE or BSCE degree. Other Engineering degrees will be considered.
• 10+ years of satellite transmission engineering & operations experience.
• Relationships with the key fiber based carriers, knowledge of the service types offered.
• Experience building full time video & data service networks.
• Experience with Cloud based solutions, and methods for application standup and deployment of distribution technologies using CDN or similar
• On-site experience at Remote venues in both Sports and News situations
• Day-to-day operations and management of Union and Non-Union 24x7 operating departments.
• Ability to work multiple threads of projects.
• Creative thinker with good problem-solving and time-management skills
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Experience with technical writing and design documentation
You might also have -
• Advanced degree in engineering or management.
• Portfolio of successful media facility projects designed and deployed.
• Certification in AWS Cloud Systems.
ViacomCBS delivers premium content to audiences across traditional and emerging platforms worldwide. Through television, streaming and digital content, studio production, publishing, live events, merchandise and more, we connect with billions of people.