The Chief Engineer is responsible for maintaining the engineering department and working directly with the building director. They will ensure the efficient operation and maintenance of all HVAC mechanical, electrical, and plumbing equipment and systems for the property. Responsibilities include (but are not limited to) maintaining a clean and safe working environment, performing rounds, conducting routine assessments, performing of day-to-day preventive and corrective maintenance. Communication directly with tenants and vendors daily. The chief is responsible for overseeing the activities of contractors working within the building either as representatives of the building itself or tenants operating within the building's guidelines. They need to be available upon request to work overtime for facility maintenance or building projects also need to respond at all hours for building emergencies when necessary.
• Handle Daily Reporting and Log Books
• Daily Compliance of FDNY Record Books / Cooling Tower Compliance Documents
• Daily inspection of all fire systems and operation of the fire command station and ''on-air'' switch during studio production
• Scheduling all vendors on-site and overseeing repairs.
• Maintain and monitor inventory of all building supplies, plumbing, lighting, electrical components, etc. to ensure aqueduct stock and supplies are available when requested.
• Obtaining proposals for requested work and reviewing with building director.
• Ensure that compliance with all regulatory laws and guidelines is met as they relate to the operation of the building's infrastructure. Responsible for alerting management of building discrepancies.
• Monitors operation and maintains refrigeration, water cooling, and air conditioning equipment. Including but not limited to Heating, ventilation, hot water equipment; pumps, valves, piping, and filters; other mechanical and electrical equipment; reviewing logs as necessary to assure proper operation of equipment; responsible for reporting any problems/malfunctions on an as-need basis. Performs preventive tasks when required. Leads all aspects of all repairs and maintenance at the site. Determines the frequency of repair and/or maintenance for all MEP systems.
• Recommends and estimates facility repairs and improvements for inclusion in the annual R&M and CAPEX budgets.
• This position reports to the building director.
• Team in which the Chief will supervise consists of Local 30 Engineer, Local 32 Building Super, and Local 32 Handyman / Freight Operator
• Responsible for leading all aspects of engineering staff & ensuring cleaning staff is carrying out their responsibilities.
• Responsible for scheduling maintenance staff to ensure coverage of the facility as required. Must be able to work OT on request and available for emergency situations.
• Personal characteristics - Good interpersonal skills, organizational skills, strong leadership skills, ability to communicate well in oral and written reports.
• Exposure to HVAC, fluid handling/pumping, fluid filtering, mechanical systems, welding, and electrical systems engineering and operation.
• Strong ability to utilize technology to engage the operations of the property.
• Understands aspects of construction planning and project execution.
• Demonstrates verbal/written communication skills.
• Certification of Fire Life Safety Director / EAP required will need to obtain on-site certification. (F89 Certification)
• Certification of Refrigeration required. (Q01 Certification)
• At times, the job is physically demanding, and the position will require bending/carrying equipment/climbing on ladders or stairs, also good vision.
• Education - Minimum of high school education, two years in mechanical trades, or equivalent. HVAC and electrical engineering training are helpful.
• Job Experience - 10+ years of experience in facility/plant engineering and maintenance supervision. Prior chief engineer/assistant chief engineer and managerial experience.
• Key Competencies: Technical Proficiency, Initiative, Flexibility, Multi-Tasking, Sense of Urgency.