Studio Technology Supervisor (Project Based)
About BuzzFeed, Inc.
BuzzFeed, Inc. (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture and commerce, our brands drive conversation and inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, and obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed, Inc. is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news and entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, and creative; and inspiring our audience to live better lives. We'll continue to recruit the best founders and creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks and HuffPost to come.
Business Area: Content
Job Category: Operations
Salary: 425-450/day USD
Union Status: Non Union
BuzzFeed Inc. is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. We reserve the ability to adjust the final compensation for this role based on the final candidate's experience, skillset, certifications, and geography.
BuzzFeed Inc. is looking for a Studio Technology Supervisor to join our New York City Production Technology team. This role will report to the Production Technology Manager. They are responsible for resourcing internal crew, running the control room, and troubleshooting as issues arise. They will also maintain vendor relationships as needed, and report comprehensive expenditures and forecast upcoming needs to upper management.
• Be responsible for supervising the video operations equipment.
• Run control room for recurring shows as well as live events.
• Organize and prioritize studio needs, while keeping to a tight production schedule.
• Be able to work out creative solutions for production overlap.
• Have excellent time management skills, and be able to adapt quickly to scheduling changes and/or studio priorities.
• Resource freelance equipment coordinators, livestream specialists.
• Upkeep a database of vendors to ensure the department is able to supply gear as needed by productions.
• Maintain all automated processes that facilitate production, including live streaming, encoding, signal processing, technical directing, and planning/budgeting databases.
• Research physical production vendors - prepare assessments on offerings, relationship to vendors, and untapped partnership opportunities / cost savings.
• Administrate all platforms required for workflow, including vMix, remote access software, and other industry standard production and livestream software. Train new users on said software.
• Lead new hardware tests and software solutions that help increase savings, efficiency, and quality.
• Work closely with IT to forecast and cover ProdTech's ever-growing technology needs.
• 3+ years experience in broadcast-quality production environments, with emphasis on image & audio capture & distribution
• 2+ years working in or directly with an equipment room or rental house
• 2+ years working directly with vendors and equipment orders
• Deeply knowledgeable of production signal processing, including video village, logs & LUTs, standard resolution and framerate
• Experience shooting video with Canon, Sony, and Black Magic Design Cameras
• Knowledge of standard audio gear including lavs, booms, various types of microphones, wireless transmitters, etc
• Proficient knowledge of live stream and control room workflows, including routers, switchers, graphics systems, comms equipment, KVM, wireless capture, remote monitoring, livestream studio software (OBS, Vmix, etc), modern audience engagement practices
• Knowledge of shared storage systems, such as SAN or NAS is a plus
• Experience coordinating databases with REST APIs is a plus
• Must be able to work from our NYC office
You can expect:
• A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
• Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
We want all employees to feel safe and comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health and safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current US employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed, Inc. offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) and open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, and WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, and VT.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g3ne0x-34-239-173-144-42 in your application.