Live Stream Technical Director (project-based)
BuzzFeed is the world's leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news and entertainment network. The company produces articles, lists, quizzes, videos, and original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world's largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News and HuffPost; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is looking for a Technical Director to run our periodic live streams on a project-by-project basis. BuzzFeed produces a wide scope of diverse content, ranging from short form social media content to BuzzFeed episodic shows. This role will be integral in the smooth operation of our livestream productions, and encompasses technical directing, troubleshooting, and excellent communication with production.
• Operating a live stream cart, which includes rigorous testing, starting/ending the stream, camera switching, etc.
• Live adjustmenting during unplanned events that occur on stream, such as loss of video/audio from a camera, to reduce on-air deadtime to a minimum.
• Preloading the gear and streaming software beforehand to have all components needed.
• Drafting a stream guide plan that includes all TD actions, including when to switch to a backup system in the event of a critical error with the primary system.
• Escalating any red flags to the Production Technician for awareness and potential action.
• 2+ years experience with technical directing.
• 2+ years experience with live streaming solutions.
• Experience with live streaming hardware, such as the Blackmagic ATEM, Elgato Stream Deck, etc.
• Thorough understanding of how live streaming works and familiarity with streaming protocols, such as RTMP, and encoding/transcoding.
• Comfortable with a high-pressure environment and shifting timelines.
• Familiar with modern tech jargon and social media terms.
• Familiarity with vMix or similar systems is a plus.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gke974-34-239-177-24-42 in your application.