Branded Project Manager
Los Angeles, CA
BuzzFeed is looking for someone to lead our editorial video team, working across our portfolio of brands, shows, and channels. We're looking for a creative powerhouse who can also build and inspire producers to create their best work in an evolving environment where video content continues to become more personal, interactive, and engaging with our global audience.
You understand how to maximize the viral power and scale of BuzzFeed to create videos people love, distributed across all platforms including YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and others, spreading joy and truth to hundreds of millions of people . We are looking for someone who believes there is much work to be done to improve the entertainment and lifestyle space as we look to build the media network of the future. Fueling creativity and new ideas across our content network drives everything we do and we require someone who can work with us to expand our data-driven approach to growing our audience, but also understands the economics of video production to grow revenue for our video business.
Your work will involve managing several senior direct reports as well as working closely with producers, editors, social publishers, production, analytics, and other department team leaders. You have management experience and a deep knowledge and passion of digital social trends with an excellent creative eye.
You will be based in Los Angeles and report into
our SVP, Content &
• Understand producers' strengths and align multiple video teams for an organized production workflow with production, studio operations, and post production leads
• Manage creative direction to align with our audience, while developing new innovative formats and IP
• Manage an amazing team of leaders in their management, innovation, organizational, technical, and brand defining skills
• Develop models for creative video production that create a flexible organization that can build on new project-based initiatives quickly
• Lead teams to crack new repeatable formats across multiple channels and platforms.
• Develop an efficient model to create flexibility and maximize our creative talent.
• Play a high-level advisory role in production workflows, strategic planning responsibilities, programming calendar, and video production budgets for the video department.
• 10+ years of experience with video creation
• 5+ years in managing large teams across multiple brands/franchises; should have experience managing teams of 35+
• P&L management experience with an understanding of video production costs, revenue generation, and strategic investment.
• An instinct for business - ability to work with business leaders, lead editorial initiatives, and conceptualize and implement monetizable video offerings.
• Lead exploratory business-focused initiatives, including platform specific development deals.
• Be able to make smart, budget-conscious decisions about production level for both premium and staple content (you're not above producing a show on a phone, a vlog format, or a run-and-gun style of video production)
• Implement industry-wide best practices to ensure that videos and series are created with multiple monetization streams in mind.
• Experience leading
org-wide policies for an ever-evolving editorial practice
• Hold teams to high standards of production quality, storytelling, innovation, and credibility
• Hold teams accountable to output, performance, and revenue goals
• Use data and insights to help producers make important creative decisions and set them up for smart and scaleable content experimentation
• Be able to give valuable, definitive feedback on ideation and framing.
• Experience developing team goals to focus on new success metrics (platform revenue, direct sales, watchtime, loyalty, etc.)
• Understand how to give the right kind of feedback to get the best work from creative individuals
• Be able to problem solve in many areas, including resourcing, business, people and creative situations
• Support senior level leaders and have an affinity for promoting an environment that values collaboration that is consistent with company culture initiatives.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
BuzzFeed is the world's leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally.