2D Flash Animator (Project Based)
About BuzzFeed, Inc.
BuzzFeed, Inc. (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture and commerce, our brands drive conversation and inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, and obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed, Inc. is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news and entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, and creative; and inspiring our audience to live better lives. We'll continue to recruit the best founders and creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks and HuffPost to come.
The Animation Lab is an experimental content space at BuzzFeed focused on animation - a place for humor, art, crazy ideas and motivated people. We are an exciting, energetic department tasked with developing unique and compelling use of animation and animated characters through social media.
We are looking for a 2D Flash Animator to support our Weird Helga team. This role begins as a one month freelance position, at the successful completion of which a 6 month fixed term contract may be offered.
• Enjoy working on a small remote team, which requires constant communication and collaboration
• Are proactive with ideas
• Can adapt your drawing style to follow established style guides
• Have no ego about addressing notes
• Understand how to be minimalist/efficient and yet entertaining with your acting choices
• Are self-sufficient and can stay organized and on schedule in a fast paced environment
• Are comfortable with pivoting to new projects as they arise - we often have opportunities come up quickly that require a nimble and fast response
• Being an integral part of Weird Helga animation team
• Executing animated short content concepts for our social media accounts, including a mix of concepting, animating, and design
• Create artwork and animation for editorial and branded work
• Repurpose existing artwork for various usage
• Handle and execute notes quickly, being proactive to communicate with your team lead to understand feedback
• Creatively support the department at large
• Expert proficiency in Flash (Animate CC), Premiere, Photoshop
• A bachelor's degree in Animation, or equivalent experience
• Working knowledge of 2D Animation & Production processes
• Proficiency in Google Apps, Microsoft Office, Media Encoder and After Effects
• Great communication skills and are able to give and receive critical feedback in a small team environment
• At least 2-3 years of experience working in animation and online
• Knowledgeable of social media and digital video platforms
You can expect:
• A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
• Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
• An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options.
• A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
We want all employees to feel safe and comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health and safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current US employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed, Inc. offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) and open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, MI, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, and WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, and VT.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r7b736-3-238-72-122-42 in your application.