Sr. Business Analyst
Overview and Responsibilities
BET is seeking a Manager, Production Finance that will lead financial oversight and production accounting management for original programming. This is an exciting position for someone who understands production finance and accounting and is looking to bring their strong analytical skills and forecasting abilities to a fast-paced industry leader! Key duties will include forecasting, tracking and handling cash flows, and cost reporting for all scripted original programming and development projects. This position will work cross-functionally to directly support Production Accounting, Corporate Finance, Business Affairs, Production, Treasury and Tax. This position will report to the SVP, Original Programming Finance.
We are looking for someone who will be highly detail-oriented, possess strong communication skills, be able to process many tasks simultaneously with accuracy and take the initiative to drive operational improvements.
• Leading production accounting and analysis of scripted development and series productions.
• Work closely with production management team and external 3rd party producers in the production budgeting process, estimated final costs (EFC) tracking and reporting, and cash flow management and analysis.
• Analyzing and reviewing actuals vs. budgets and estimates and research variances, identifying risks and opportunities, and ensuring that all data is accurately loaded into the financial systems. Partner with production finance lead on findings and manage information with relevant client groups.
• Ensuring compliance with policies & procedures and implementing best practices.
• Interpreting and extrapolating contracts for salient production and financial terms.
• Reviewing overall deals related to Executive Producers & Talent and ensuring internal contractual obligations are tracked and paid.
• Touchpoint for 3rd party production finance counterparts regarding budget, residuals, license fees, agency/package fees, and all production finance materials.
• Collaborating with production finance lead on performance measures, planning around production schedules, and financial controls.
• Coordinating with East and West Coast production/management groups with timely consolidation of monthly EFC information vs. Budget and LRP.
• Partnering with Viacom Tax team, Production Management, internal production and 3rd parties to ensure production tax credits are accurately calculated, recognized and completed.
• Leading requests regarding series production matters, production cash flows, journal entries, etc. and internal/external audit requests as necessary.
• Minimum 5 years finance or accounting experience, preferably within the media and entertainment landscape.
• Experience with accounting principles and practices, general ledger systems and accounts payable functions.
• An understanding of production finance functions, production accounting and budgeting, and entertainment industry business practices.
• Ability to interpret complex contracts, such as license agreements, production service agreements, program rights acquisition contracts, overall and first-look deals, script deals, and option agreements.
• Advanced Excel and Powerpoint skills required.
• Experience in general ledger accounting systems and planning/analysis systems preferred (SAP, BW, Oracle, Tableau, EP Smart Accounting).
• Ideal candidate has a strong communication skills with the ability to interact with senior management and other high-level industry executives.
• Works effectively and efficiently under pressure and tight deadlines.
• Utilizes knowledge and experience to exercise sound business judgment and make independent decisions.
• Thinks big-picture and can conceptualize the need for and effectively implement operational improvements.
• Learns quickly, conducts self-reviews, checks work and learns from mistakes.
• Is curious, hardworking, and passionate about entertainment finance.
• Is willing to challenge the status quo, advocate for BET's diverse and inclusive culture, and always act in BET's best interest.
• Undergraduate degree strongly preferred.