The Bally Sports Regional Networks serving Minnesota and Wisconsin (collectively, Bally Sports North & Wisconsin) are the television home of the Minnesota Twins, Wild, Timberwolves, Minnesota Gopher Hockey and the Milwaukee Brewers and Bucks.
Bally Sports North is seeking a Director of Operations to join their Minneapolis, MN based Production Department. This is a critical management role, responsible for all operational and technical aspects for the Production department for two networks producing over 500 remote events, 250 studio shows, and additional original content projects on a yearly basis. The Director of Operations oversees the booking of all remote production facilities, equipment, technical crews, and transmission for every scheduled event, and works closely with the Accounting department on forecasting, tracking and reconciling annual budget of $20 million.
Duties include oversight of all technical and operational functions including processing payroll and expenses for freelance personnel and all vendor invoices (truck, crew, equipment, transmission, facility fees, etc.). The Director of Operations also creates and updates Production Summary Reports to accurately detail all line item costs. The Director of Operations oversees the regional engineering department and works very closely with the regional Chief Engineer. Additional responsibilities include coordination with team, conference, school and facility personnel and the creation of Remote Production Books for all events. This position regularly interfaces with other Bally Sports RSNs regarding sharing best practices, elements, equipment and personnel. The position reports to the Executive Producer.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
• Manages a full-time staff of 7. This includes the regional Engineering Department.
• Supervises the scheduling of remote production trucks, facilities, equipment, technical crews and transmission for all remote and studio events.
• Maintain and distribute the weekly Production Personnel Schedule (including information about event time and location, network, assigned production personnel, vendor and crew contacts, truck assignments, Dual/HD schedules and accounting codes).
• Work closely with Finance Department and Executive Producer to forecast, track and reconcile $20 million annual production budge. Process payroll and expenses for freelance personnel and all vendor invoices (including truck, crew, equipment, transmission, facility fees). Create and updates Production Summary Reports to detail all line item costs.
• Develops production budgets for specials and ''one off'' events.
• Develops annual Capital Budget as it relates to Production.
• Investigate new industry developments to keep the networks fully up to date with the latest equipment and technology available, with the goal of maintaining cutting edge presentation and workflow efficiency. The Director of Operations must have a demonstrated understanding of cutting-edge aesthetics of studio and live television presentation.
• Acts as the management point person for our IATSE contracts in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Participates in union negotiations. Schedules and leads Quarterly Labor/Management meetings.
• Daily follow up on event Producer/Director reports to address technical, crew, or venue concerns. Work with Production Engineering department on prompt attention to all technical issues, providing follow up communication to production teams on timelines for resolution.
• Travel to remote events to act as on-site liaison with venue, vendor and production personnel.
• Create, distribute and enforce all company policies (travel, invoicing, expense, etc.)
• Manage and train Operations support staff.
• Minimum 5 years' experience in live event production, studio production and technical operations is required. Familiarity with remote production facilities and studio facilities is also necessary.
• Experience working with production budgets is required.
• Good interpersonal skills and a proven ability to lead and manage a team is necessary.
• The ability to multi-task and work effectively in a fast-paced environment is essential.
• Strong organizational, time management and project management skills are also required. The ability to work under pressure independently is required.
• Knowledge of live television production environments, including the ability to work flexible hours is necessary. Knowledge of Live Sports Production a plus.
• Occasionally required to bend and lift up to 30 pounds, when transporting equipment. Must be able to drive a car. Must be willing to travel and attend live sporting events.
• Knowledge of and passion for NBA basketball, NHL hockey & Major League Baseball is required.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and Outlook is needed.
• This position works primarily in a professional office setting, and also will often work in a remote production unit or studio.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rb1bjx-54-211-101-93-42 in your application.