Music Product Specialist, Payments & Reporting
New York, NY
ASCAP is home to more than 800,000 music creator members across all genres - the greatest names in music, and thousands more in the early stages of their careers. We are the world leader in performance royalties, advocacy and service for music creators, and are the only PRO in the US run by its members including songwriters, composers and music publishers.
The VP, Licensing for ASCAP will lead the licensing strategy and negotiations for a number of national and international accounts spanning traditional and digital audiovisual (e.g. NBC, WarnerMedia, Netflix), audio only platforms (e.g. Spotify, Apple, etc.) and emerging platforms (e.g. gaming/e-sports, AR/VR, AI, voice, connected car) including developing deep account expertise, deal execution/administration, contractual compliance, and operations related to the licensing and collection of license fees. In addition, this specific position will be charged with assessing, developing and executing a multi-territory (ex-US) strategy to grow revenue and create operational efficiencies, competitive advantages, and increased value for ASCAP's members.
As a key member of ASCAP's Licensing department, this role will be part of a team responsible for the development and execution of the overall domestic and international licensing strategy to drive market penetration and revenue growth and will work cross departmentally with ASCAP's International Affairs, Data Strategy, and Operational teams. They will be a proactive thought leader, highly skilled at closing complex commercial transactions in all forms and dedicated to ASCAP's commitment to obtain fair compensation for the public performances of its members' works.
This is an exciting opportunity to make an impact in the music industry, but we feel it's helpful to clarify that this is not a music clearance role. It's a unique position, and more accurately compared to something along the lines of content distribution and/or affiliate sales, for both US and International.
• Develop deal strategies, lead negotiations, and ensure compliance with ASCAP'S licensing policies and procedures
• Foster, maintain and strengthen relationships among licensee accounts
• Become a thought leader and account expert by providing regular updates to senior management on account developments, press/new business endeavors, earning reports/performance and executive summaries
• Assist in the development and management of the annual licensing revenue and expense budgets for accounts
• Achieve the pre-determined annual revenue goal by leading the activities of other team members
• Partner and collaborate with other ASCAP departments, including International Affairs, Business & Legal Affairs, Membership, Global Technology Solutions, Marketing, Distribution & Repertory, and lead outside counsel (among other teams)
• Support EVP of Licensing to mine for and shepherd licensing developments and opportunities across ASCAP
• A minimum of 7 years of experience in content distribution, strategy and licensing within the entertainment industry, with an emphasis on digital content/music and entertainment services, both domestic and international
• Multilingual – Fluent in a least one foreign language (preferably Spanish or French)
• Advanced analytical skills with the ability to clearly communicate and translate findings to management
• Excellent at Excel, Power Point and cross platform (email, web, phone, in person) communications
• Well organized, self-starter, outgoing, ability to persistently make the tough ask
• Able to track and manage a variety of projects as well as quickly find and share relevant data, create and share lists, status reports
• Ability to patiently and diplomatically, yet doggedly follow up internally and externally to get key information as well as move projects to conclusion
• Deep knowledge of music licensing copyright, entertainment, content distribution and digital industries and their business practices for both US and non-US territories such as Europe, LatAm, APAC, etc.
• Strong influencing and negotiation skills with demonstrated ability to work effectively with internal and external parties in evaluating and completing deals
• Willingness and ability to travel internationally as needed
• Proven track record in negotiating, closing and implementing revenue-driven partnerships
• Ability to actively listen and also clearly convey complex analyses to all relevant stakeholders (i.e., management, licensees, etc.)
• Adept leadership skills with the ability to effectively manage a diverse team to achieve results
• Able to work effectively in a results-driven, fast-paced dynamic business environment in a sector undergoing extensive change
• Bachelor's degree required; MBA or other relevant advanced degree (e.g., JD) a plus
• Passion for music
• Knowledge of/interest in international business, economics, finance, and data
• Experience with CRM and cloud-based tracking systems, such as Sales Forces
• Likes to travel
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
• A choice of either network only provider medical and dental plans or more flexible medical and dental plans where you can see providers in or out-of-network
• Vision plan that offers both in and out- of network provider options
• Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with an employer provided match
• An additional Employer paid retirement savings program regardless of your participation in the 401(k) Plan
• Generous time-off policy
• Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
• Short term disability Insurance / salary continuation and long term disability insurance
• Company provided basic life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance
• Supplemental and dependent life insurance options
ASCAP is an equal opportunity employer. All ASCAP employment decisions are made on the basis of individual qualifications and performance and not on the basis of race, national origin, ethnicity, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, genetic information, disability, handicap, color, creed, religion, veteran status, or any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
ASCAP is home to more than 790,000 music writer and publisher members across all genres - the greatest names in music, and thousands more in the early stages of their careers. We are the world leader in performance royalties, advocacy, and service for music writers and publishers, and are the only PRO in the US run by its members including songwriters, composers, and music publishers.