Senior Vice President – General Licensing (NYC)
Job Title: Senior Vice President – General Licensing
Location: New York City or Nashville ASCAP Office
Reports to: Executive Vice President – Licensing based in New York City
Direct Reports: Leads and oversees the General Licensing team, including 10 direct reports, and over 100 employees.
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a professional membership organization of songwriters, composers, lyricists and music publishers of every kind of music and operates on a not for profit basis. ASCAP's mission is to license and promote the music of its members and foreign affiliates, obtain fair compensation for the public performance of their musical compositions and to identify and match such performances to the fractional shares of copyright ownership and finally to distribute the royalties that it collects based upon those performances. ASCAP members write the world's best-loved music and ASCAP has pioneered the efficient licensing of that music to hundreds of thousands of enterprises who use it to add value to their business - from bars, restaurants and retail, to radio, TV and cable, to Internet, digital and mobile services and more. The ASCAP blanket license offers an efficient solution for businesses to legally perform ASCAP music while respecting the right of songwriters, composers, lyricists and music publishers to be paid fairly. With more than 870,000 members representing more than 16 million copyrighted works, ASCAP is the worldwide leader in performance royalties, service and advocacy for songwriters and composers, and the only American performing rights organization (PRO) owned and governed by its writer and publisher members. Learn more and stay in touch at www.ascap.com, on Twitter and Instagram @ASCAP and on Facebook.
# # #
The General Licensing Department primarily focuses on licensing brick and mortar US businesses that publicly perform music in their establishments such as restaurants, bars, hotels, fitness, live music venues, concert promoters and other businesses that utilize music. This ''General Licensing'' category of licensees / addressable market is separate and apart from licensees in television, radio, digital service providers and other forms of licensing & administration handled by ASCAP.
The Senior Vice President (SVP), General Licensing, leads the General Licensing Department in a fast moving, dynamic environment and industry. The SVP, General Licensing is passionate about leading a mission-driven organization dedicated to representing, advocating for and protecting the rights of songwriters, composers, lyricists and publishers to ensure that they receive fair compensation for the public performance of their musical compositions. The SVP, General Licensing is responsible for developing and presenting strategies for General Licensing revenue growth and innovative solutions to modernize General Licensing processes and internal resource allocation in order to manage a large volume of current customers and the identification of new target customers, expense budget planning and oversight, long range and short-term revenue planning and projections, collections and working with Business and Legal Affairs on certain targeted copyright infringement activities.
The SVP is also responsible for ensuring the appropriate job-related training, development, and support is provided for all levels of the General Licensing team to develop internal talent and drive revenue growth; develops, monitors, and ensures effective execution of department goals and provides regular and consistent employee feedback. Guides members of the General Licensing team as needed with each of their functions and ensures compliance with applicable ASCAP policies and regulations, internal & external. Prepare presentations to the Executive Leadership team and the CEO as needed.
As a trusted member of the Licensing leadership team, it's critical for this role to develop productive cross departmental and collaborative relationships with Finance, Business and Legal Affairs, Distribution, Marketing/Communications, Membership, International Affairs and Human Resources.
Areas of responsibility/accountability:
• Valued contributor to both the Licensing team and ASCAP enterprise-wide goals and strategies.
• Thoughtful leader who is open and actively seeks out/develops innovative approaches to modernizing General Licensing practices to increase efficiency, save costs, and eliminate manual or redundant processes.
• Lead a large staff in all aspects of the General Licensing process.
• Establish and monitor key performance indicators and provide leadership, management and direction.
• Develop and administer commission based compensation plans in partnership with Human Resources and the Business and Legal Affairs departments to administer to achieve financial goals and revenue growth.
• Develop and execute strategies for process improvement and increased revenue from the General Licensing business verticals, mines for new revenue opportunities.
• Provide oversight of ongoing training, coaching, and development of personnel.
• Proactively engage and communicate with direct reports and broader General Licensing organization through regular team meetings, one on ones, and encourage feedback on workflow and trends.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Minimum of 15+ years of progressive executive leadership experience in a sales/business development/revenue generating role and/or operations.'
• Driven by and committed to ASCAP's mission of protecting and advocating for songwriters, composers, lyricists and publishers.
• Proven leader with demonstrated success managing and leading high-performing teams in a matrixed and dynamic department of over 100 individuals.
• Innovative and forward-thinking individual.
• Change agent, effectively navigate dynamic licensing environment.
• Solutions based/problem solver with a strong bias for action.
• Strong written and verbal communications.
• Ability to work well with others in a highly collaborative, team environment.
• Maintains the highest level of confidentiality and integrity.
• Ability to think analytically, take direction, provide insight, take initiative, and work independently and proactively.
• Coachable, takes feedback constructively; a strong desire for professional growth.
• Curiosity about the business; desire to learn, self- starter to develop expertise and knowledge.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to navigate through difficult conversations.
• Strong organizational skills with excellent attention to detail, ability to prioritize tasks within a high-volume workload.
• Proven proficiency with Salesforce CRM, Microsoft Office, Google suite, accounts receivable systems with the ability to learn and utilize new technology as it becomes available.
• Familiarity with the music industry, licensing and intellectual property strongly preferred.
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent. MBA strongly preferred.
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
• A cho
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r7267q-34-239-154-240-42 in your application.