The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a professional membership organization of songwriters, composers and music publishers of every kind of music. ASCAP's mission is to license and promote the music of its members and foreign affiliates, obtain fair compensation for the public performance of their works and to distribute the royalties that it collects based upon those performances. ASCAP members write the world's best-loved music and ASCAP has pioneered the efficient licensing of that music to hundreds of thousands of enterprises who use it to add value to their business - from bars, restaurants and retail, to radio, TV and cable, to Internet, mobile services and more. The ASCAP license offers an efficient solution for businesses to legally perform ASCAP music while respecting the right of songwriters and composers to be paid fairly. With over 800,000 members representing more than 10 million copyrighted works, ASCAP is the worldwide leader in performance royalties, service and advocacy for songwriters and composers, and the only American performing rights organization (PRO) owned and governed by its writer and publisher members. www.ascap.com
The research analyst works as part of the International Affairs team and has an inquisitive approach to identifying relevant data with the aim of producing insightful tracking analytics for use by the International Affairs team.
The analyst initiates and performs a wide-ranging set of analytical research projects and delivers logical, evidence-based results. The ability to build trend analysis that can help resolve issues and highlight opportunities for the wider business is an important area of tracking analysis that needs to be developed. An eye for detail to spot the trends, anomalies and deviations in market data and a creative and open approach to building and presenting results is a must.
This analyst seeks to improve the capabilities of ASCAP's business analysis through identifying better tracking techniques and procedures that will deliver enhanced revenue claim capabilities.
Areas of responsibility/accountability:
The analyst focuses on 3 primary areas: hard-fact tracking; contextual tracking and trend analysis.
• Provide research into area where simple hard fact tracking will bring benefits to the members of ASCAP by recognizing areas of exploitation where simple issues can be identified and resolved
• Develop and improve the capabilities and scope of ASCAP's hard fact tracking capabilities to ensure effective capture of all revenue claims and the ability to recover missing revenues effectively
• Research, collate, appraise and deploy relevant business intelligence data to improve tracking coverage and capabilities
• Along with colleagues, develop, as part of the 'think-tank', new tracking analytics and research tools to deliver clear business insights that will inform and drive the area of contextual tracking to generate revenue for the business in the International arena
• Using business intelligence data, explore unusual observations and undertake the research and analysis required to continually modify and improve the scope of tracking analysis to meet the needs of the business
• Assess and report the results of contextual tracking analysis to management and develop, drive and implement the standardization of processes for transition to automated hard-fact tracking
• Assist in the preparation and presentation of tracking assessments to the wider business to encourage better understanding of market trends and subsequent revenue movements to help identify priorities for new tracking analysis
• Provide analytical expertise and support to the International Affairs management team including market-trend analysis and statistical variance analysis of income movements for collection society distributions
• Research requests for business information from all internal business units and external (e.g. writers, managers, collection societies) customers
• Ad hoc projects and responsibilities as required in response to changing business requirements
• Identify areas of opportunities improvement
Qualifications and Requirements:
Job specific skills
• Advanced analytical skills with the ability to translate data into meaningful analysis and insights to help support and explain the activities and performance of the Tracking Analysis team to the wider business
• Ability to make complex numerical calculations and to manipulate and clearly present data in excel, Access, other data-management solutions
• Conceptual thinking – the ability to solve problems with a common sense, process driven approach
• Strong skills in Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel and Access, and very adept at learning customized systems, including database/cube extraction
• Ability to design new analyses and reports using existing systems such as PREP and bespoke BI solutions
• Ability to design, write, structure and use complex queries on various database solutions including SQL
• Understanding of the music publishing industry, its markets and how its licensing and operational issues in the collection society environment affect revenue and drive tracking
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, able to interact successfully with all levels of staff and management within a corporate environment; expresses ideas in a clear, logical and constructive way
• Clearly sets expectations and delivers consistent messages to both the team and customers
Teamwork & collaboration
• Supports, co-operates and collaborates with the management and colleagues in the Tracking Analysis area and with others in the International Affairs team.
• Works closely with GTS and Data Strategy team in order to identify data/research needs of the International Affairs team as well as complete assigned tasks that require cross department collaboration
• Open-minded, flexible and cooperative with the needs and priorities of the Tracking Analysis team so that customer needs are met consistently
• Responds appropriately to direction regarding deadlines, deliverables and key performance indicators and service level agreements
Time & work management
• Manages self and follows through on tasks and to do lists so that deadlines consistently met in the most efficient and effective way
• Sets priorities and plans workload efficiently. Consults management and colleagues where appropriate to recommend solutions, solve problems and complete tasks and projects to deadlines
• Knows when to do the task and when to delegate it, and how to deliver high quality output either way. Follows through on open issues and meets deadlines in the most efficient and effective way, ensuring that open items are resolved satisfactorily
• Able to make appropriate decisions, with broader business implications in mind, enabling issues to move forward to completion
Initiative & motivation
• Flexible, effective and enthusiastic approach to implementing tasks, taking on new work and assignments, developing new skills and servicing customers
• Open-minded and motivated to recommend changes in processes and procedures where this would result in a more effective service
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d22416-3-236-231-61-42 in your application.