The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a professional membership organization of songwriters, composers, lyricists and music publishers of every kind of music and operates on a not for profit basis. ASCAP's mission is to license and promote the music of its members and foreign affiliates, obtain fair compensation for the public performance of their musical compositions and to identify and match such performances to the fractional shares of copyright ownership and finally to distribute the royalties that it collects based upon those performances. ASCAP members write the world's best-loved music and ASCAP has pioneered the efficient licensing of that music to hundreds of thousands of enterprises who use it to add value to their business - from bars, restaurants and retail, to radio, TV and cable, to Internet, digital and mobile services and more. The ASCAP blanket license offers an efficient solution for businesses to legally perform ASCAP music while respecting the right of songwriters, composers, lyricists and music publishers to be paid fairly. With more than 875,000 members representing more than 16 million copyrighted works, ASCAP is the worldwide leader in performance royalties, service and advocacy for songwriters and composers, and the only American performing rights organization (PRO) owned and governed by its writer and publisher members. Learn more and stay in touch at www.ascap.com, on Twitter and Instagram @ASCAP and on Facebook.
# # #
Counsel, Business and Legal Affairs, working on a variety of transactions and operational matters for various business areas at ASCAP. The position will handle a wide variety of legal and business affairs matters, including complex intellectual property and technology licenses, data privacy regulations, information and data security issues, agreements with data suppliers, service providers and other vendors, employment law matters, and health and safety issues. This person is expected to provide legal and business affairs support for business strategy, product, general corporate, human resources, and other operational legal matters. This position is based in New York City.
Areas of responsibility/accountability
• Ability to cover a high volume of time sensitive assignments, prioritize matters based on business needs and drive deals to close.
• Drafting, reviewing, negotiating, and advising on an extensive range of agreements including NDA's, consulting service agreements, engagement letters, membership agreements and marketing and promotion agreements.
• Provide technology and intellectual property law advice and counsel to internal clients.
• Explain complex legal issues in a manner that allows internal clients to manage business risks including as it relates to new products and services.
• Interest in learning the business and operations of ASCAP in order to provide counsel on ongoing legal matters.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of two (2) to three (3) years of large law firm and/or in house experience focused on transactional corporate, commercial and/or intellectual property matters required.
• Familiarity with the entertainment and/or digital media industries, as well as knowledge of intellectual property, privacy, cybersecurity law a plus.
• Qualified candidates must possess excellent drafting, negotiation and organizational skills and oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to develop highly effective and productive working relationships externally and internally throughout ASCAP.
• Ability to analyze and synthesize information and suggest alternative resolution strategies.
• A common sense approach to decision-making.
• A strong work ethic and a bias towards action, change and speed.
• J.D. with superior academic credentials preferred.
• Licensed and in good standing to practice law in New York State.
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These benefit options include the following:
• A choice of either in-network only provider medical and dental plans or more flexible medical and dental plans where you can see providers in- or out-of-network;
• Vision plan that offers both in- and out- of network provider options;
• Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation;
• An additional Employer-paid retirement savings program regardless of your participation in the 401(k) Plan;
• Generous time-off policy;
• Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts;
• Short term disability Insurance / salary continuation and Long term disability insurance;
• Company provided basic life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance; and
• Supplemental and dependent life insurance options.
Please be aware that ASCAP is not a nut-free or other allergen-free workplace.
As a condition of employment, ASCAP requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (including a first booster, when eligible) against COVID-19. ASCAP will make reasonable accommodations for those who are unable to obtain a COVID-19 vaccination, where required by federal, state and local law, and in accordance with ASCAP's policies.
ASCAP is an equal opportunity employer. All ASCAP employment decisions are made on the basis of individual qualifications and performance and not on the basis of race, national origin, ethnicity, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, genetic information, disability, handicap, color, creed, religion, veteran status, or any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-ro59p4-18-208-187-128-42 in your application.