Assistant Theatre Manager
American Film Institute
Silver Spring, MD
The Theater Manager is responsible for the overall customer experience and interaction with the AFI Silver Theater team. This includes managing the Team Members to ensure they are providing excellent customer service, assistance and general screening information to all patrons.
· Manage the daily theater operations, ensuring a consistent superior patron experience.
· Supervise Team Members to ensure all processes and protocols are adhered to; this includes collaborating with the Senior Manager, Theatre Operations and/or the Director, Administraion and Operations on implementing disciplinary action as needed.
· Coordinate with the Senior Manager to create the weekly schedules.
· Assist with recruitment and hiring of front-of-house staff.
· Address patron/guest concerns in a timely manner.
· Liaise with the Senior Manager and/or the Director, Administration and Operations concerning patron related concerns/complaints.
· Ensure the Theater is always organized and clean.
· Maintain communication with Senior Manager and/or Programming team to ensure Team Members are updated on all programming communications, including changes to film screenings.
· Open and close the theater as needed.
· Manage stock and inventory control systems.
· Assist the Senior Manager with ticket and concession revenue reporting.
· Assist with technical aspects of daily shows.
· Coordinate with the Director, Production and Operations, AFI Festivals and the Senior Manager, Marketing and Special Events to ensure adequate staffing during AFI DOCS, or other special screening and events.
· Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
· High School diploma required; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
· Minimum two years experience in theatrical front of house operations including cash control, box office and concession operations.
· Familiarity with theatrical point of sales retail software required.
· Experience managing and/or working in a unionized workforce strongly preferred.
· Experience in event management highly desired.
· Exceptionally detail-oriented with the proven ability to handle numerous tasks with appropriate follow-up and reporting activities while not losing sight of the big picture.
· Ability to work independently while being an integral member of a high-functioning team.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to convey complex concepts and procedures in simplistic terms.
· Strong leadership, time management and multi-tasking skills.
· Strong skills in examining operations and procedures, formulating policy and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
· Strong analytic and problem solving skills and the ability to effectively apply these to a diverse set of issues.
· Excellent computer skills with strong knowledge in Microsoft Word and Excel in a Mac environment.
· Strong diplomacy skills and professionalism are mandatory; this includes the ability to maintain complete confidentiality and discretion.
· Possess a positive and professional attitude with internal and external stakeholders.
· Ability to work calmly under pressure.
· Personal integrity and the ability to inspire confidence and trust.
· Must have flexibility to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
The Theater Manager performs all duties and responsibilities under the guidance and supervision of the Senior Manager, Theatre Operations.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-re8e42-34-228-52-223-42 in your application.