Art Director, Industry, Creative Studio
Culver City, CA
About Amazon Music
Do you love music? Do you have a knack for discovering artists & bands long before everyone else does? Does your thirst for knowledge about all things music-related drive you? Are you a dynamic individual that lives to be on the cutting edge of technology and pop culture? Then read on!
Amazon Music is seeking a Hip-Hop and R&B Programmer to curate musical content and drive engagement with our US streaming services. The Programmer will be based in LA, as part of the growing US Music Programming Team, working closely with our Hip-Hop and R&B Lead Programmer. He/She/They will be responsible for creating, managing and optimizing musical content for listeners, including playlists and stations. The Programmer will also contribute to non-programming tasks and projects such as coordinating on behalf of Music Programming for cross-functional marketing efforts; providing input on tooling improvements and the publishing process; planning content around an editorial calendar and new release schedule, etc,.
Along with solid experience in music curation or programming (or industry equivalent), the candidate must be music-obsessed with a passion for, and in-depth knowledge of, Hip-Hop and R&B, and their related sub-genres. This tech-savvy individual thrives in a fast-paced work environment and is comfortable owning entire work streams end-to-end, as well as collaborating with other team members on projects of a broader scale. The ability to balance long-term strategic work with day-to-day execution is also key, as we constantly seek to expand and improve the listening experience for Amazon Music customers.
Key job responsibilities
• Serve as one of Amazon Music's expert music programmers for a portfolio of specific stations and playlists across Hip-Hop, R&B and related sub-genres, as designated by Team Leader.
• Update and/or curate assigned stations and playlists using Programming tenets and data from Amazon tooling on a regular cadence (weekly, bi-weekly, monthly). Monitor and report on performance of 'owned' programming.
• Apply extensive music knowledge to help craft new and existing hand-curated programming for Amazon Music's growing customer base.
• Use a combination of aesthetic judgment and data to identify opportunities, to create new playlists and stations, and to deprecate old ones.
• Dive deep into external and internal data on stations, playlists, artists and individual tracks – to inform understanding of customer tastes and identify trends to optimize customer experience.
• Collaborate with Voice and Visual product teams to enhance discovery of priority playlists and stations to ensure ideal user experience on Alexa and visual interfaces.
• Design and/or implement curation-related processes and help identify areas where new processes and mechanisms will aid in team efficiency.
• Work cross-functionally with all Music Programming team leads - as well as product, tech, catalog, visual and voice content teams – around special projects, product launches, innovations and ongoing initiatives.
• Liaise with representatives on other Amazon Music teams including Label and Artist Relations, Marketing, and PR, on shared projects and strategies.
• Integrate into overall team work streams (music programming and programming-adjacent) and contribute to team goals and strategies.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
• 3+ years work experience in music programming (radio or digital curation), editorial, A&R, or a related role.
• Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of Hip-Hop and R&B music, both current and catalog.
• Music Industry knowledge.
• Demonstrate proven success in delivering results in a fast-paced, rapid-growth environment.
• Ability to use data to inform and drive decisions.
• Excellent writing and communication skills.
• Proficient in Excel, Adobe, PowerPoint.
• Knowledge of Tableau or other reporting software.
• Knowledge of Salesforce tooling a plus.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rv5x00-44-192-94-86-42 in your application.
Amazon Music reimagines music listening by enabling customers to unlock millions of songs, podcast episodes, and thousands of curated playlists and stations with their voice. Amazon Music provides unlimited access to new releases and classic hits across iOS and Android mobile devices, PC, Mac, Echo, and Alexa-enabled devices including Fire TV and more. With Amazon Music, Prime members have access to ad-free listening of 2 million songs at no additional cost to their membership. Listeners can also enjoy the premium subscription service, Amazon Music Unlimited, which provides access to more than 75 million songs and the latest new releases. Amazon Music Unlimited customers also now have access to the highest-quality listening experience available, with more than 75 million songs available in High Definition (HD), more than 7 million songs in Ultra HD, and a growing catalog of spatial audio. Customers also have free access to an ad-supported selection of top playlists and stations on Amazon Music. All Amazon Music tiers now offer a wide selection of podcasts at no additional cost, and live streaming in partnership with Twitch. Engaging with music and culture has never been more natural, simple, and fun. For more information, visit amazonmusic.com or download the Amazon Music app.