Counsel - Entertainment
Walt Disney Television (WDT) is seeking an experienced labor relations executive to join its Labor Relations Department in Burbank and Los Angeles, CA. Primary responsibilities will include negotiating and administering collective bargaining agreements covering television or new media production in the United States and Canada, providing advice to production and distribution units, which include Fox, ABC and Disney companies, representing the company in meetings at the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, on industry boards and trust funds, supervising other Labor Relations staff, and handling of grievances, arbitrations and administrative agency matters. This position requires a passion for labor relations work, a high degree of collegiality and strong interpersonal skills, an ability to develop constructive relationships with colleagues at other studios and networks and with representatives of guilds and unions, while pursuing the company's objectives. This position requires daily interaction with production, business affairs, finance, legal, HR and other company executives as well as union and guild executives and business agents.
• Prepare for, plan, negotiate and implement collective bargaining agreement terms, policies, agreements, and procedures
• Advise production, finance, business and legal affairs and company executives on the application of collective bargain agreements, devising and recommending problem solving solutions
• Represent the company in multi-employer negotiations
• Advise management on union population employee, employee relations, and performance related issues, problems, discipline, etc.
• Guide management and HR on disciplinary and/or employee grievance issues within the union population
• Participation in mediations, arbitrations and related meetings on behalf of company
• Serve as a liaison and point of contact with unions
• Ensures the company is complying with union and guild agreements
• Develop and maintain constructive relationships with union representatives while advocating for the company
• Supervise other Labor Relations staff
• Remain current on labor and employment law developments and television industry trends
• Minimum of 8 years' experience in labor law / labor relations
• Ability to work in a multi-tasking, fast paced environment
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• 10+ years' experience in labor law / labor relations
• Entertainment industry experience strongly preferred
• Licensed Attorney in State of CA or Registered in-House Counsel
Bachelor's degree or equivalent
JD from an accredited law school
This position is with ABC, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.