New York, NY
THE DIVISION'S STORY
Production Operations and Engineering consists of a wide range of media centric roles. We are responsible for managing the entire life cycle of A+E's programming. This is where we produce, transform, broadcast and distribute content as well as run the tech infrastructure for the Media Supply chain. We are an energetic team that fulfills the business objectives within a thriving dynamic industry. Developing new solutions to continually improve the user experience of our customers, consumers and colleagues is our mandate. If you have the determination and aptitude we are seeking for a role in this challenging and rewarding business and are eager to work for a department that sets the standard for our industry, then we look forward to speaking with you!
The Software Engineer is responsible for the design and implementation of software and scripts related to media systems for all A+E Networks (A&E, Lifetime, History, etc.).
This position will help enable software development efforts for a team focusing on media technology and infrastructure -- the systems that are responsible for managing video, audio and other related media essence files as they move throughout the company's internal and cloud-based content supply chains.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
• Work with team technical lead to write scripts and software, primarily in Python, to enable media workflows.
• Help design and deploy media workflows in the cloud using a variety of hosted and custom-built software solutions.
• Advocate for and adhere to best development practices (like unit testing) in partnership with team tech lead.
• Assist in building maintainable development platforms, including configuration of development, QA and production environments related to media processing.
• Create documentation for deployment and support, training operational and support engineers as necessary on how things work an how to troubleshoot.
• Serve as an escalation point to internal teams helping to identify and resolve complex, software-based issues involving multiple systems.
• Mentor and enhance the skillset of other team members and enable team members to contribute to software projects who may only be part-time developers.
• Support the department's efforts around diversity and inclusion throughout all areas of responsibility.
• Minimum Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience.
• Minimum one to three years of software development and configuration experience with a solid understand of software architecture.
• Familiarity with Linux and UNIX-based operating systems, with the ability to perform extensive administrative tasks including environment configuration and troubleshooting using key system tools.
• Familiarity with cloud-computing and the tools available from modern cloud infrastructure providers such as Google, Microsoft, IBM and Oracle, with a strong preference for knowledge of Amazon Web Services (AWS).
• Experience working with users to gather and create development requirements.
• There is the opportunity to work in a ''blended'' environment from either on-premises or remote locations. Remote work from home is predicated on having a robust home network/internet service capable of supporting the position's area of responsibilities.
• Experience working in an Agile/SCRUM environment.
• Familiarity with Windows operating systems (both desktop and server), with the ability to perform administrative tasks including configuration and troubleshooting.
• Familiarity with any of the media processing services offered by various cloud-computing providers, including tools from Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and/or Microsoft Azure.
• Experience with enterprise-level Media Asset Management or Digital Asset Management systems, including IPV Curator.
• Experience with digital content distribution tools, including the Platform MPX.
• Experience with media-related WAN acceleration and file transfer orchestration tools, including Aspera and Signiant.
• Experience creating and documenting test cases.
• Some experience with video production and post-production technologies.
• Some knowledge of key components involved in storage systems including SAN, NAS and archive systems (LTO).
• Knowledge of networking and protocols along with basics of router and firewall configurations.
• Knowledge of business process modeling conventions and tools.
• Self-organized with significant attention to detail and procedures.
• Ability to prioritize and address multiple tasks and projects in a dynamic work environment.
• Ability to work independently and with other members of a team.
• Proven leadership qualities.
• Demonstrated significant and strong interpersonal and written communications skills.
At A+E Networks, we believe that storytelling uncovers the human in humanity, the hero in heroism, and the ordinary in the extraordinary.