Manager, Indirect Procurement
New York, NY
THE DIVISION'S STORY
Most people don't realize the importance of the Finance department in keeping our business operating without hitches and delays. That's probably because we oversee many of the more quietly glamorous, back-office functions that drive our bottom line. We not only forecast, build and manage budgets, we also collect and analyze important data that helps leadership make the best decisions. All of this sounds exciting to you because you love numbers and spreadsheets, and especially love great entertainment.
This role partners with the various AETN departments and teams that are developing accounting policies and making improvements to existing processes and provides contemporaneous advice in relation to the GAAP implications.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Senior Manager, Accounting Policies, Guidance and Compliance:
• Ensure that all Accounting policies and procedures for the Company are up to date
• Facilitate the refresh of all company financial policies & monitor compliance with internal accounting policies and operating procedures
• Develop and communicate new policies and procedures as needed, enhance internal control processes and ensure consistency in all financial reporting processes.
• Remain current in relation to the GAAP developments that are relevant to the Company's financial reporting and manage the implementation of any new pronouncements, ensure compliance with technical developments (research, interpretation, guidance, and accounting support)
• Be proficient in the close & reporting processes utilizing the Company's financial reporting system
• Provide a general interpretation of accounting standards and application of those standards to respective situations and scenarios
• Research complex accounting issues and present conclusions in accordance with GAAP both in writing and verbally, ensure that the accounting of transactions associated with the Company's operations is in accordance with GAAP
• Review, analyze and determine the appropriate revenue recognition for sales deals. Provide support to the Sales teams in formulating the terms and structure of the sales deals that are in compliance with revenue recognition standard
• Oversee the adoption and implementation of all new accounting pronouncements, including ASC 842, Lease Accounting and ASU 2019-02, Film Costs
• Lead the adoption process for new Accounting pronouncements
• Compose technical accounting memo(s) that will set out a concise statement of facts, the relevant GAAP, options and a conclusion
• Draft the issuance of periodic technical bulletins to the FP&A and Accounting departments, summarizing the recent developments in accounting and financial pronouncements and the likely impact on the Company's financial statements
• Assist in accounting for significant transactions impacting financial statements, footnote presentation and disclosure, such as debt activity, acquisitions, fair value measurement and dispositions, etc.
• Oversee the year-end financial audit and the periodic internal audits by the Partner's Internal Audit teams. Ensure all audits are conducted in a timely fashion.
• Engage external auditors in technical accounting matters in a timely and comprehensive manner
• Provide both formal and informal training in accounting concepts to the Accounting Staff
• Direct the development and presentation of training materials to business stakeholders to both build general understanding of the GAAP principles and concepts relevant to the business and articulate the impact that proposed transactions and contract amendments will have on the Company's financial reporting
• Provide other support (i.e. special projects, ad hoc analysis, etc.) to VP Assistant Controller and SVP Controller as needed
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
The Senior Manager, Accounting Policies, Guidance and Compliance is a critical position within the Controller's group. The candidate needs to have strong analytical and technical accounting skills and be open to establishing accounting and analytical procedures in media operations. The individual in this role must have the business acumen to be able to analyze the changing business environment and determine the accounting impact very quickly. The ideal candidate must have strong technical skills and the ability to conduct technical research and prepare technical memos as required.
This position requires an individual who can multi-task effectively. He/She needs to be extremely organized and disciplined in his/her approach and be flexible to deal with changing business requirements. The ability to prioritize issues and determine those that need follow up immediately and those that can be dealt with later will be critical to success. This candidate will need to be able to communicate highly effectively, both orally and in writing.
This position will assist in centralizing and providing direction and guidance to the operating accounting groups to ensure that all aspects of the Company's activities are recorded and reported in compliance with both GAAP and internal accounting policies. He/She will keep abreast of relevant GAAP developments, conduct the research as needed, and formulate position papers and accounting policy documentation. He/She will assist in providing support to the accounting groups to ensure proper revenue recognition, new lease agreements are fully understood and documented and that accounting procedures are implemented to ensure consistent application of relevant GAAP guidance.
• CPA licensure and top-tier public accounting firm experience is a must with deep understanding of US GAAP and disclosure standards
• 8-10 years of work experience inclusive of internal/external financial reporting experience required
• Proven ability to research complex accounting and finance matters
• Excellent ability to communicate project and status updates to team and cross-functionally to ensure understanding; ability to identify key contacts for follow up
• Strong relationship-development skills resulting in long-term, mutually beneficial client relationships
• Strong organization, planning and project management skills; ability to prioritize tasks for self and team to meet requirements and deadlines
• Self-motivated; able to work independently to complete tasks and respond to department requests and to collaborate with others to utilize their resources and knowledge to identify quality solutions
• Strong work ethic & professionalism
• Candidate must be accountable, collaborative, creative and passionate
• Top candidates will have media industry experience or expertise
• Strong working knowledge of financial reporting systems (preferably SAP)
• Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint preferred
At A+E Networks, we believe that storytelling uncovers the human in humanity, the hero in heroism, and the ordinary in the extraordinary.