Work Locations: With the exception of some select roles that have in-office requirements, A+E Networks operates on a flexible model that allows for remote, hybrid or full time in office work (in certain locales).
Office locations include New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Stamford, CT.
Our list of eligible states in which employees may work remotely includes: California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
Our global Legal and Business Affairs department believes in the promise and power of teamwork. When we work together as a cohesive unit – supporting, involving, appreciating and respecting each other – we can elevate our company, our clients, and ourselves. At A+E Networks, we have built and developed a culture based on the principles of effective communication, collaboration, accountability and trust. These guiding principles serve as our north star as we partner and strategize with other departments across the Company to help A+E Networks achieve its goals and stay at the forefront of a highly competitive, rapidly changing industry. If you share these values and want to learn more about who we are and what we do, consider joining our team.
A+E Networks has an open position for a transactional attorney who will provide support to all divisions commissioning, licensing, and/or producing content for any of A+E Networks' brands.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Under the direction of the team's Senior Vice President and other senior level attorneys in the Content Group, NY:
• Negotiate and draft (as well as supervise the drafting of other department members) a wide variety of agreements relating primarily to nonfiction/real life/documentary projects; e.g., concept development; program commission, co-production, and/or acquisition; talent, writer, and other service provider agreements; option/purchase agreements; there will also be the opportunity to formulate and discuss potential business models for agreements of first impression;
• Interact with internal clients (e.g., programming, in-house production, production management, finance, accounting, marketing personnel), as well as individuals at external companies (e.g., production companies, agencies, outside law firms) to gather the necessary information to effectively draft and negotiate the applicable agreements, and respond to comments effectively and quickly;
• Stay attuned to the ever-evolving business needs of clients, proposing potential new approaches to the team for discussion, so that business provisions and approaches can be modified once consensus is reached to achieve business goals in the most effective manner;
• Efficiently track projects and provide status updates to ensure that projects assigned are handled in a timely manner (or work with others so that goal is achieved); and
• Provide both legal and business guidance to the various clients, coordinating with the team and imparting expertise gleaned from prior work experiences.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
On our team, you'll be at the core of A+E's businesses-working to conclude deals to create great content with key business partners, whether for our own exploitation or exploitation by another company. You'll learn about content creation from start (pitch acceptance and development) to 'finish and beyond' (delivery and ancillary exploitation). The team is a highly engaged, collaborative, and motivated one, eager to discuss issues and provide solutions that meet company needs, while appropriately protecting the company from a legal perspective. You'll interact with L&BA colleagues in other areas, too (including Risk, Standards & Practices, Global Rights, Distribution, Global Content Sales, etc.) Your workload will be varied, and while juggling projects may not always be easy, you'll be encouraged to interact often to brainstorm and formulate creative solutions consistently.
YOUR STORY: [+BEHAVIORS] (what you need to have)
• JD Degree from an accredited law school and New York State bar admission (or ability to waive in)
• 7+ years of legal experience in the entertainment field, with a minimum of 4 years in any of the following (or a combination thereof): the legal and/or business-affairs department of a cable or broadcast network, a streaming service, or a production company or an entertainment-focused law firm
• Strong time management and multi-tasking skills needed; must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with employees at all levels of the organization
• Detail-oriented and extremely organized
• Strong oral and written communication skills
Annual Pay Range: $164,299 - $216,454
Annual Incentive Target: 20.00%
The annual/hourly pay range displayed serves as a good faith estimate of the
minimum and maximum base pay range for this role. Compensation for the role will
be based on a number of different factors such as a candidate's qualifications, skills,
competencies, location, and experience. A+E offers a competitive total compensation
package, which includes healthcare coverage, 401k matching, and a range of other benefits. Learn more at aenetworks.com/careers.
A+E Networks is proud to uphold an equal opportunity employment policy and employs personnel without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, and marital status. This policy also applies to all employees, consultants, and third-party workers.
A&E Television Networks, LLC is a joint venture of Disney-ABC Television Group and Hearst Corporation.
We are proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g61v1j-3-238-250-73-42 in your application.