- Entry (0-2 years) Experience
WRIC ABC 8News in Richmond is Central Virginia's source for local news, weather and political updates from the Capital region. Covering the City of Richmond and Chesterfield, Henrico and Hanover counties, 8News reports breaking news, crime updates and community news that matters where you live. Our website, WRIC.com, is the No. 1 digital news source in Central Virginia.
This internship is for a college student interested in gaining practical experience working in a broadcast newsroom. The intern will gain hands-on experience and knowledge in a blend of areas including, but not limited to, researching news stories, understanding reporting on courts and local government, writing for television, writing for web, and more.
At 8News, the editorial intern will:
• Conduct research for stories
• Report and write stories for television and web
• Edit stories
• Love breaking news and the challenge of working on a big story
• Be curious and want to learn
• Possess journalistic integrity
You'll be expected to:
• Contribute to the editorial process and make solid decisions in breaking news situations
• Ensure that everything we create meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
• Research and analyze background information for a variety of topics. This goes hand in hand with daily reporting and editing
• Pitch on-brand local and trending stories
• Conduct interviews with sources
• Be comfortable working with different technology – it's always changing
• Demonstrate top-notch communication skills with co-workers and the public
• Meet the physical demands of the job including working in the office or outdoors
• And of course, perform other duties as assigned
• Interns must be college students and will receive college credit for their internship experience
• The student is aware that this is a non-paid internship
• Students are expected to obtain and complete any forms necessary to receive college credit
• The intern's college academic advisor and institution determine the amount of credit available
• Station department heads will oversee the internship to evaluate, monitor and assess the intern's progress and ensure they are receiving the proper training
• The student is responsible for their own transportation
• Each internship requires a minimum of 16 hours per week for 12 weeks
• Upon completion of the internship, the student will be evaluated through a written review by the internship supervisor
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-ro0km6-3-237-31-191-42 in your application.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.