Summer Intern - Assistant Designer
- Entry (0-2 years) Experience
About the Role & Program
Join us for the unique opportunity to learn how National Geographic produces both print and digital editorial stories for the NATGEO Magazine, Special Single Topic Bookazines, and NG Kids! Our design team collaborates with photo, graphics, interactive, cartography, digital, and text editors in all aspects of content creation: conceptualizing, designing, and implementing visual elements that bring fascinating stories to life.
What You Will Do
• The intern will gain practical hands-on experience by actively participating in various tasks and projects. Shadowing art directors and designers to understand their workflow, decision-making processes, and creative strategies. Engage in practical activities such as conceptualizing, designing, and implementing visual elements under their mentorship
• Assisting in NATGEO Magazine and Website Design. Work closely with the art directors and designers responsible for NATGEO Magazine and website design. Regularly assist in designing pages for both the magazine and website. The frequency may vary based on project timelines and editorial schedules.
• Learn to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and efficiently allocate time to different projects. Develop a habit of being punctual for meetings, deadlines, and other work-related commitments. Understand the significance of clear and concise communication in a professional setting. Practice effective communication with team members, superiors, and other partners.
• Actively engage in diverse tasks to acquire new skills relevant to the Media Industry. Work on a variety of projects to gain exposure to different aspects of the Media Industry, such as editorial design, digital media, and multimedia production.
Required Qualifications & Skills
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Analytical and organized
• Ability to handle and prioritize simultaneous projects and meet deadlines
• Self-motivated and resourceful, with the ability to work with minimal direction and exercise independent judgment
• Adept at learning new software
• Proficient in Adobe InDesign
• Previous internship experience
• Illustration skills and digital experience
To be eligible for this internship you must be a junior, senior or a recent graduate (within 6 months of your graduation date) pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Design, Fine Arts or related field
Eligibility Requirements & Program Information
• Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
• Must be at least 18 years of age and possess unrestricted work authorization
• Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
• Must be able to have a consistent, reliable work schedule throughout the session
• Must be able to work on-site in Washington, DC and provide your own housing and transportation for the duration of the internship
• Program Length: The approximate dates of this internship are May 2024 – August 2024. Candidate must be available to work 40 hours/week in Eastern Standard time for the duration of the internship
About Disney Entertainment Television:
Disney Entertainment Television is a collection of renowned content brands at The Walt Disney Company creating original entertainment and news programming for the company's streaming platforms Disney+, Hulu and Star, and its broadcast and cable networks. Its extensive portfolio is comprised of ABC Entertainment, ABC News, ABC Owned Television Stations, Disney Branded Television, Freeform, FX, Hulu Originals, National Geographic Content and Onyx Collective, in addition to Disney Television Studios, which include 20th Television, 20th Television Animation, ABC Signature and Walt Disney Television Alternative. Responsible for over 4,500 hours of programming a year across more than 300 programs of all genres, Disney Entertainment Television's creative brands are at the forefront of groundbreaking storytelling, captivating audiences and generating critical acclaim. In 2023, Disney Entertainment Television's programming excellence earned 163 Emmy® nominations across daytime, primetime, news & documentary, and children's & family categories.
This position is with National Geographic Partners PAY SVC, which is part of a business we call Disney Entertainment Television.
National Geographic Partners PAY SVC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g3qwvx-44-200-77-92-42 in your application.