Summer Intern - & Content Acquisition : NY
- Entry (0-2 years) Experience
Job DescriptionHBO & MAX Content Acquisition Intern: NY - Summer 2024
Application Deadline: Friday, M arch 15 th*
* Pro Tip: S ubmit your application as soon as possible – applications could close earlier due to applicant volume!*
Your New Role
This internship will be located in the New York City area. The selected intern will be expected to join us in the office on a regular cadence based on the intern manager's in office schedule.
The Content Acquisitions team is responsible for the licensing of all off-network content – including Feature and Indie films, Latino, International and Syndicated Series – for the entire spectrum of WBD entertainment networks, SVOD and Premium Pay platforms.
Our virtuous lifecycle begins with major and indie Hollywood studios and filmmakers building relationships and negotiating terms of licensing including broadcast dates, runs, license fees and TV Everywhere rights. Acquisitions also works in close collaboration with Evaluators, Schedulers and Programmers to target appropriate content to license, Finance teams to establish budgetary analysis, and the WBD Legal group to draft contracts and negotiate commercial rights memorializing these tenets.
Turner is a division of WBD along with our sister companies, HBO, HBO Max, and Warner Brothers. We are better known as the folks who bring you CNN, HLN, TNT, TBS, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, WBD Sports and so much more!
HBO/Cinemax the leading premium cable station(s) for its mix of movies and innovative original programming. HBO has been recognized for decades as one of the most respected and innovative entertainment brands in the world. It's where the most talented, creative minds choose to tell their stories and where people around the world come to watch award-winning programs. HBO programming is offered in more than 155 countries worldwide and our branded services are available in more than 85 countries across Asia, Europe, Latin America, and the Caribbean.
Max is the streaming service that synergizes all of HBO's groundbreaking documentaries, prestigious original series and huge catalog of blockbuster films and blends it with highly desirable acquired series, the DC Universe, TCM, Looney Tunes and Sesame Workshop.
Your Role Accountabilities
• Interns will participate in various facets of the content acquisition process, with a focus on the research and historical analysis portion of this cycle. (Includes evaluation and monitoring of the broadcasting and cable markets which aids to determine available series, films and surface competitor buying)
• Assist the Acquisitions team identify possible acquisition targets that align with programming needs (through Major, Indie, Latino studios/filmmakers and 3rd Party and WBD partners)
• Track major happenings within the competitive streaming landscape locally and internationally to ensure WBD is getting the most expansive grant of rights
• Screen referenced content for possible acquisition. Write coverage if/when interested
• Compile and update film and series meta-data (e.g. Box Office, Cast/Director, Synopsis, Genres, Demographics, etc.) for strategic analysis
• Research and collect details for content ratings and advisories
• Special Ad-Hoc film, series & SVOD/AVOD DTC projects
Qualifications & Experience
• Film, Theater or Television Major or background in Entertainment Law
• An impassioned approach to film and television
• Commercial awareness
• Proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint
• Strong organizational and prioritization skills
• Attention to detail
• Adaptability / Flexibility / Teamwork
• Must be actively enrolled in a n accredited college or university degree program for the full duration of the internship (proof of enrollment required )
• Must be a rising Junior or Senior Undergrad Student (18 years or older)
• Must be in academic good standing ( 3.0
or above GPA)
• Warner Bros. Discovery will only consider candidates who are presently authorized to work for any employer in the United States and who will not require work visa sponsorship from Warner Bros. Discovery now or in the future in order to retain their authorization to work in the United States.
What to know before applying:
The duration of the summer program regardless of which start/end option is 11 weeks.
Program date options:
Option 1: June 3rd – August 16th
Option 2: June 10th – August 23rd
• Interns will be expected to work 35-40 hours per week in a hybrid capacity.
• Our internships are paid opportunities with a competitive hourly wage. Credit is not required; however, we will provide the necessary documentation for school credit if desired. Relocation is not provided.
• Interviewing will take place from March through mid-April. A WBD team member will contact you if your experiences and interests match an open internship position. Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to give individual status updates.
About Our Internship Program
WBD's Internship Program is designed to nurture students professionally and personally. We attract the country's boldest and brightest students for paid, for-credit, real-world internship experiences in the entertainment, tech, sports, news and media industries. We offer career-defining opportunities to learn valuable skills that will help you prepare for a successful future.
Ready to learn more? Here's what we offer:
• Hands-on work with passionate, talented team members in your field
• Mentorship from some of the industry's kindest and most passionate entertainment veterans
• Engaging events including professional development seminars, panels with recruiters and former interns, intern-exclusive events, and so much more
• Access to top-level executives and employees through our Speaker Series and Roundtables
• Incredible networking opportunities with industry-leading professionals and a robust intern alumni network
• A creative, collaborative, and inclusive company culture
What you can expect to take away from the semester:
• Opportunities to develop professionally and uncover skills you didn't know you had
• The insider scoop on the entertainment industry and what happens behind the scenes
• Relationships that will go beyond your collegiate career
• Real-life experiences that will provide you with the confidence to delve into your next adventure
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation, or a range thereof, for roles in locations where legally required. Actual salaries will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The rate listed is just one component
of Warner Bros. Discovery's total compensation package for employees. Pay Rate: $19 per hour USD for undergrad interns, $25 per hour USD for graduate level interns.
If you're a qualified candidate and you require adjustments or accommodations to search for a job opening or apply for a position, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gqxxw6-100-26-196-222-42 in your application.