Summer Intern - TV Animation - Visual Development Trainee
- Entry (0-2 years) Experience
At DreamWorks Animation our Visual Development Trainees gain hands on experience on a Television production while learning from award winning Art Directors. Trainees are mentored by Art Directors, Design Supervisors and Visual Development Artists and are exposed to a comprehensive curriculum taught by industry and studio professionals.
In addition to learning and growing through one on one mentorship and a robust set of designed classes, Visual Development Trainees are responsible for creating design assets on a Television show in production. The Visual Development Trainees will be part of a design team ensuring that the assets created hit the creative goals of the series. In addition to working directly on the visual development team, Trainees are also responsible for working on and delivering a portfolio project from concept to finish throughout the duration of the program.
The last week of the program allows Trainees to showcase their work and their portfolio project to creatives and executives across the TV business. The Trainee Program is 12 weeks long and is a full-time, paid opportunity.
The Trainee Program is covered by the Animation Guild.
• Under the direction of the Art Director: design and/or paint backgrounds, characters, props, and/or vehicles
• Ensure deadlines are consistently met and communicate progress of work to supervisors and to appropriate production staff
• Attend classes within the Visual Development Trainee curriculum and complete program projects
• W illingness to take feedback and rework designs while maintaining a fresh perspective
• Recent graduate with an Associate, Bachelor or Graduate degree from a College/University (or equivalent)
• Less than two years of work experience in the animation industry
• Solid design foundation including knowledge of: perspective, composition, painting, lighting and color theory
• Ability to communicate effectively
How to apply:
• Please submit a resume that includes a short bio or summary
• Please submit an online portfolio and/or digital portfolio (PDF) in order to be considered for the Trainee Program (if password protected, provide the password on the resume)
• An ideal portfolio will showcase a strong design foundation of perspective, composition, painting, lighting and color theory
• Please include work that showcases your design thought process through: reference, roughs, line art, turns, final line, color, etc.
• You can include personal projects, academic projects, or professional projects in your portfolio