Summer Intern - Animation Asset Trainee
- Entry (0-2 years) Experience
At DreamWorks Animation our Feature Asset Trainees gain hands-on experience on a feature production while learning from award-winning Art Directors. Trainees are mentored by Art Directors, Design Supervisors, and Visual Development Artists and are exposed to a comprehensive curriculum taught by industry and studio professionals.
In addition to learning and growing through one-on-one mentorship and a robust set of designed classes, Feature Asset Trainees will be responsible for creating and supporting various production assets, including characters, environments, and props in a variety of styles.
In addition to working directly on the asset team, Trainees are also responsible for working on and delivering a portfolio project from concept to finish throughout the duration of the program.
The last week of the program allows Trainees to showcase their work and their portfolio project to creatives and executives across the TV business. The Trainee Program is 12 weeks long and is a full-time, paid opportunity.
The Trainee Program is covered by the Animation Guild.
• Ability to demonstrate an understanding of design fundamentals/principles.
• Prepare and install technically clean assets for production.
• Model and surface a wide range of assets, from hard-surfaced to organic shapes.
• Create assets that align with artistic design/style of film; interpret art reference/art direction.
• Collaborate with both supervisors and peers.
• Familiar in programs such as Maya, ZBrush, Houdini, Mari, Substance, and/or Photoshop
• Understanding of basic Linux commands/navigation, and be adaptable to new software and techniques.
• Solid understanding of fundamental design principles (composition, balance, shape , rhythm, color, etc
• Familiarity with technical aspects of digital models (efficient topology, UV mapping & Layout, etc.)
• Understanding of shader networks specifically physically based shading models required
• Understanding of look development including best practices for shaders, materials, texture maps, source maps, etc.
• Experience working with renderers (Arnold, RenderMan, etc.)
• Ability to work well with both artistic and technical teams and be open to critique and feedback
How to Apply:
• Please submit a resume to apply for this position
• Please submit an online portfolio and/or digital portfolio (PDF) in order to be considered for the Trainee Program (if password protected, provide the password on the resume)