WABC-TV (ABC7) Technology Intern, Summer/Fall 2024
About the Role & Program
WABC-TV, the flagship Disney/ABC–owned television station in New York, is the most-watched television station in the New York Television market and the United States. WABC also leads the market in station websites and has the highest social media engagement!
The WABC Technology team is responsible for designing and maintaining the broadcast, IT, and newsroom systems that enable WABC to create and deliver the news every single day. In this internship, you will be working with senior engineers and project managers helping to test new software deployments, develop training materials, and troubleshoot broadcast issues as they come up. Every day there will be a new opportunity to learn something new about what it takes to be the #1 broadcast station in the country!
What You Will Do
As our intern, you will be rolling up your sleeves both metaphorically and literally to get to the bottom of all problems faced. On some days, you will spend time with our production teams to understand their workflows and then meet with engineers to propose and implement timesaving solutions. Then on the next day, you will work with a design engineer to put together an equipment list for a new studio build and ensure delivery will meet our needs.
Required Qualifications & Skills
• Proven skills utilizing Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
• Familiar with basic video production
• Understanding of Television Production Workflows
• Desire to be part of a fast paced agile organization
• Attention to detail, exacting standards, and outstanding organization skills
• Familiarity with Broadcast Production & Distribution Systems
• Understanding of the network affiliate relationship model
• Previous work or intern experience in the field of television
• Junior/Senior-level standing
• Major or previous coursework in Broadcast Journalism, Communications, Video Production, or related major
Eligibility Requirements & Program Information
Candidates for this opportunity MUST meet all of the below requirements:
• Be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within 6 months at time of application posting OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Internship
• Be at least 18 years of age
• Have not completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
• Possess unrestricted work authorization
• Able to have a consistent, reliable work schedule throughout the internship
• The approximate dates of this internship are June 2024 through January 2025
• All candidates must be willing to work 24 hours/week during a Monday-Friday schedule (hours and days to be determined by your supervisor)
• Able to provide own housing for the duration internship program in the New York, New York area
• Able to provide reliable transportation to/from work in the New York area
Print This Role Description: Strong candidates may be invited to complete a phone interview. We strongly encourage applicants to print a copy of this role description, so they can refer to it in the event they are selected for a phone interview. Note that this role description will not be accessible once the posting is closed.
The pay rate for this internship in New York is $21.70 per hour. Select benefits may be provided as part of the compensation package, such as medical, financial, and/or other benefits. To learn more about our benefits visit: https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits.
About Disney Entertainment Television:
Disney Entertainment Television is a collection of renowned content brands at The Walt Disney Company creating original entertainment and news programming for the company's streaming platforms Disney+, Hulu and Star, and its broadcast and cable networks. Its extensive portfolio is comprised of ABC Entertainment, ABC News, ABC Owned Television Stations, Disney Branded Television, Freeform, FX, Hulu Originals, National Geographic Content and Onyx Collective, in addition to Disney Television Studios, which include 20th Television, 20th Television Animation, ABC Signature and Walt Disney Television Alternative. Responsible for over 4,500 hours of programming a year across more than 300 programs of all genres, Disney Entertainment Television's creative brands are at the forefront of groundbreaking storytelling, captivating audiences and generating critical acclaim. In 2023, Disney Entertainment Television's programming excellence earned 163 Emmy® nominations across daytime, primetime, news & documentary, and children's & family categories.
This position is with WABC Television (New York), LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Entertainment Television.
WABC Television (New York), LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gk6ymp-44-200-77-92-42 in your application.