KABC-TV (ABC7) Assignment Desk Intern, Summer/Fall 2024
About the Role & Program
KABC-TV (ABC7) is an ABC owned television station (OTV), located in Glendale, near downtown Los Angeles. Our station is in the #2 ranked television market in the country. Weekly, ABC7 produces over sixty-three hours of local news, public affairs, magazine programs and public service campaigns!
The internship program is designed to provide you with an on-site educational experience that complements your academic studies. You will have an opportunity to observe and participate in the daily work and operations of a major market television station.
What You Will Do
Ever wonder what it would be like to be immersed in a newsroom? We are looking for an intern to join our team and get hands-on experience working at the Assignment Desk. We are at the hub of the newsroom and this internship offers an exciting look at how our team produces and builds a newscast every day!
As the KABC-TV (ABC7) Assignment Desk Intern, you may:
• Attend production meetings and assist the assignment desk
• Answer phones and conduct beat checks, assist with the clearing of social media videos
• Regularly pitch stories for special segments (e.g. Orange County Cares, Good News, SoCal Strong) and monthly celebrations
• View and log tapes and transcribe interviews
• Research news topics, including online and social media news research for news stories
• Assist in the planning of news stories, and in the day-to-day operations of the assignment desk and newsroom
• Observe managers, editors, reporters, writers, producers, directors, and technical crews
Required Qualifications & Skills
• Previous experience (academic or internship) in journalism (print and/or broadcast); television, news and new media production; and/or television news script writing
• Experience with Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook
• High attention to detail and experience multitasking in a fast-paced environment
• Major or previous coursework in Broadcast Journalism, Communications, producing, writing, editing, or related major
• Experience using social media for news gathering
• Familiarity with newsroom software, such as Dalet
• Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within 6 months at time of application posting OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
• Undergraduate students in their Junior or Senior year or recently graduated within the past 6 months preferred
Eligibility Requirements & Internship Information
Candidates for this opportunity MUST meet all of the below requirements:
• Be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within 6 months at time of application posting OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
• Be at least 18 years of age
• Have not completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
• Possess unrestricted work authorization
• Must be able to have a consistent, reliable work schedule throughout the internship
• Program length-- The approximate dates of this internship are June 2024 through early January 2025
• Work details-- Must be fully available to work 24 hours per week during a Monday through Sunday schedule (hours and days to be determined by your supervisor and could include nights, weekends and holidays)
• Housing-- Must provide own housing for the duration of the internship program in the Los Angeles, California area
• Transportation-- Must have reliable transportation to/from work
The pay rate for this internship in California is $17.20 per hour. Select benefits may be provided as part of the compensation package, such as medical, financial, and/or other benefits. To learn more about our benefits visit: https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits.
About ABC Owned TV Stations:
The Disney Entertainment Television group creates original entertainment and news content for the Company's streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks.
This position is with KABC Television, LLC, which is part of a business we call ABC Owned TV Stations.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r7p3k6-3-239-9-151-42 in your application.