KGO-TV (ABC7) 7 On Your Side Intern, Remote, Spring 2023
Be a part of an innovative team and culture…
KGO-TV is an ABC-owned television station (OTVS), located in San Francisco near the city's iconic waterfront. The station is in the #8 ranked television market in the country. You will have the opportunity to observe and participate in the daily work and operations of a major market television station.
Interns at 7 on Your Side get hands-on experience working with a team that produces three consumer news segments each week day, reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers and directly helping the residents of the San Francisco Bay Area.
While interns get news production experience, they also learn essential office skills like organization, effective communication, follow-through, and meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment. Overall, we hope to teach our interns how to find, craft, and distribute good stories while instilling a sense of teamwork and a desire to help those around us.
A Day in the Life…
As this role is now remote-only, this role will focus more heavily on research and data organization. Interns will need to keep up with daily consumer news with an eye for potential stories, with possible light writing assignments. Interns will also do research for producers' stories, including web research, verifying data over the phone, and cross-checking multiple sources.
Interns will also help sift through viewer responses to find the most compelling stories for the producers, and compile data on the information gathered from the pool of viewer messages. (Familiarity with Microsoft office and Google Docs, and especially Excel / Google Sheets is highly recommended!)
Finally, interns will help consumer counselors as they answer viewer email and present the viewers' issues to the relevant companies / agencies. Patience, professionalism, and clear communication essential!
What we are looking for…
• Successful interns will have a strong story sense, great attention to detail, the ability to interrogate information and conduct effective research, good organizational and time management skills, and the ability to follow through.
• Able to work in a fast-paced environment and work effectively with different personality types.
• Working experience in Microsoft Word and Excel, Google Docs and Google Sheets, Zoom, Slack.
• Proficient in creating and maintaining spreadsheets in Excel
• Strong general research and organization skills
• Patience, professionalism, and clear communication essential
• Undergraduate students in their Junior or Senior year or recently graduated within the past 6 months
• Previous experience (academic or internship) in journalism (print and/or broadcast); television, news and new media production; and/or television news script writing.
• Familiarity with Microsoft office and Google Docs, and especially Excel / Google Sheets is highly recommended
• Currently enrolled in an accredited college or university and taking at least one class, or be a recent graduate of an accredited college or university within the last 6 months at time of application, or be currently participating in the Disney College Program, Disney Culinary Program or Disney Professional Internship Program
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
• All candidates must be eligible to work in the US
• This internship is a remote internship.
• The internship requires a working, reliable internet connection as well as a quiet, dedicated work space.
• All candidates must be available from January 2023 through early June 2023
• All candidates must be available to work 20 hours per week during a Monday through Sunday schedule (hours and days to be determined by your supervisor, and could include nights, weekends and holidays)
• All candidates must be able to have a consistent, reliable work schedule throughout the session
The pay rate for this position in Colorado is $16.99 per hour.
About ABC Owned TV Stations:
This position is with KGO Television, Inc, which is part of a business we call ABC Owned TV Stations.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d2003m-44-201-68-86-42 in your application.