WLS-TV (ABC7) I-Team & Consumer Intern, Spring 2024
About the Role & Internship
ABC7 (WLS-TV) Chicago is the Midwest flagship of the ABC television network. ABC7 leads the market in local news coverage with daily newscasts and has been in the number one position in local news since March 1986! Our station's offices and studios are in The Loop in downtown Chicago!
The Consumer Investigative Unit of the I-Team responds to our viewers who need help or feel as though they have been ripped off or wronged. Our I-Team looks for patterns of complaints attached to certain companies to warn other viewers. We also alert viewers to data and privacy concerns and find stories that have broad warnings, which can help improve people's everyday lives.
What You Will Do
The Consumer division of the I-Team also proactively digs for other stories through research and the use of the Freedom of Information Act to uncover wrongdoing and problems which affect our consumer's pocketbooks. As our intern, you will:
• Assist investigative reporter and producer with stories by researching and following up on hotline calls and emails
• Attend field shoots and interviews with our reporter and or producer
• Sit in on editing of segments
• Log interviews with the use of Dalet
• Set up interviews
• Submit Freedom of Information Act requests for data
• Help find digital original stories
Required Qualifications & Skills
• Knowledge of how to log interviews, screen calls, and emails
• Some editorial experience in rooting out a story
• Strong communication skills to talk to callers who are seeking help from the I-Team
• A hard-working, self-starter and willing to take initiative
• Judgement of what may or may not be an investigation
• Studying journalism or broadcast television in college
Eligibility Requirements & Internship Information
• Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within 6 months at time of application posting OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
• Must possess unrestricted work authorization
• Must be able to have a consistent, reliable work schedule throughout the internship
• The approximate dates of this internship are January/February 2024 through June 2024
• Must be fully available to work 20 hours/week during a Monday through Sunday schedule (hours and days to be determined by your supervisor, and could include nights, weekends, and holidays)
• Must provide own housing for the duration internship program in the Chicago, IL area
• Must have reliable transportation to/from work
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gpo844-18-206-48-243-42 in your application.